Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

XML gauges drawing over one another.

Guest zavoq

I am having an issue with my VOR gauges. It seems that they draw over one another, even though the artwork does not extend over the other gauge. Here is a screenshot to help illustrate my point.http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/ht...es_overdraw.jpgNotice that VOR 2 seems to be covering up part of VOR 1 and the ADF. The weird thing is that I set VOR 2 behind VOR 1 and ADF in FS Panel Studio. The other weird thing is that non of the artwork for the VOR 2 extends that far outside of the rim of the gauge. If VOR 1 and ADF are on and actively receiving a radio freq, this does not happen, it is only if they are not actively updating, so I thought..."Add an Update Element into the XML script, so I added this code to the end of all three of thwese gauges: This did not change the behavior at all. Does anyone know what might be causing this?TIA,Charlie

Same problem here. It seems to happen when the VOR2 needle is not active, either because the needle is at full swing or when the reciever is not picking up a station. It seems like it happens mostly when the card bitmap is diagonal and the corner which is supposed to be transparent protrudes down onto the VOR2 gauge. The tooltip on the VOR1 OBS knob also seems to knock out part of the VOR2 gauge. Hopefully someone comes along with a solution.http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/vor_gauges.jpgJim

Guest zavoq

I figured out a workaround...but it is not really a solution. If you spread the gauges further apart, it won't do it...unfortunately this is not really a viable solution since they need to be at a certain place on the panel...so still looking for a solution myself.I had a collegue email me with a solution, but it does not seem to have fixed my issue, but it may fix yours. Here is what he said:"Regarding your XML gauge drawing problem: check that the background that surrounds the VOR2 gauge - same goes for the other gauges too - is transparent 0,0,0, and that also the transparent flag is set, otherwise the gauge will cover the others as long as the gauge is beeing updated. Thats why the problem is gone if the other two gauge are updated."Charlie

One reason might be caused by moving or rotating elements of the gauge that aren't drawn on a mask. As usually bitmaps are rectangles and not circles, the area they cover when they move / rotate is larger than the basic gauge area. In this cases they might overleap neighbour gauges and cause that problems.Such problems easily can be avoided when using masks for moving or rotating elements.Hope this helps,Herbert

I thought about trying a mask Herbert, but I also have an attitude indicator that does use a mask and it does the same thing to the gauge below it when the attitude card "droops" after shutting down the engine so for that reason I've never gone to the trouble of trying a mask on the VOR gauges. I'll give it a try though and see what happens.Also Charlie, what's the transparency flag? I don't think I've ever seen that one (in FS2004). Is that an FSX thing?Thanks,Jim

Hi,You can try the command "Draw order" in the panel.cfg below gauges.eg:windowetc.gauge00gauge01gauge02gauge03gaugex1=vor1gaugex2=vor2gaugex3=adfetc.draw order1=gaugex1,gaugex2,gaugex3draw order2=gaugex2,gaugex3Hope it helps,

Guest zavoq

>Also Charlie, what's the transparency flag? I don't think I've>ever seen that one (in FS2004). Is that an FSX thing?I am using FSX and FS Panel Studio Pro for FSX. When I edit an XML gauge and click on the different elements, there is a checkbox in the top corner that says transparency. See the below image. I am assuming that this is what my collegue was talking about when he suggested that I turn the transparency flag on.After looking at it again though, I think that it might just be a preview flag, and not have any bearing on XML gauges.Here is a screenshot:http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/ht...ls/TransBox.jpg

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Yes, I believe that is for "preview" purposes only Charlie.Didn't know they had a "pro" version out now, I'll have to check that out.Patrick

Guest zavoq

>Didn't know they had a "pro" version out now, I'll have to>check that out.AHH...mistype. I am sorry. Not "pro" just V1.2

Using a mask is the correct way to handle the problem. I a C gauge, instead of "covering up an adjacent gauge" though, the bitmap get's "squished out of shape..." Either way, it's a problem that must be addressed!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator