Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Automatic sequences

Keith,First of all, I'd like to say: NEVER GIVE UP!I'm in the mid 40's and allready realized that I could get things working faster when I wore a younger man's cloth... I wish, I had that "drive" you have when I'll (if ever) be 70.Then concerning the XML syntax: Maybe this very basic information might shed some more light on your problems:XML code is executed from top to bottom and within a line from left to right. So conditions that get true at the beginning of an element will have an influence of everything else beeing coded in that context.And it is not only the knowledge about the syntax that makes the diference between those beeing able to produce good gauges and those that eren't. Sometimes - if not even rather often - you'll need something like "inspiration" or at least a good sense to see things in a very, very logical context. And these aren't things that can be written in a tutorial.So, once again good luck with whatever you'll try to get managed but let's cut this thread at this point. If you need more help on specific things, feel free to contact me via pm.Herbert

Guest Pencil pusher

Herbert & Bill, Here is the end of this particular saga! I have re-read Nick Pikes tutorials, as well as the part of the SDK 'Calculated expressions in XML gauges' plus some wild experimentation on top of your advice and have achieved 99% of my requirements. For the automatic sequences the TO_TDNseq.xml attached works well, and I think I will stick with this design for the moment. For the 3 position spring centre off switch I found the 'Mouse event' bits and experimented with those - also success! Bank switch.xml attached also (I hope). Both of these may be of use to others. Many thanks again for your help, & I shall continue to read the forum.P.S. Herbert how to contact you via pm?RegardsKeith

Guest Pencil pusher

Second attachment didn't attach! Herewith 3 pos spring centre off switch!

<>>let's cut this thread at this point.<>>HerbertOk... Herbert, I'm curious... are you the moderator for this forum?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed, Heaven no! That only was my way to tell Keith that I'd prefer to help him via direct contact (mail pm) rather than using the forum.Keith: I'm glad to hear you got things sorted out! You can send me a pm (private message) using one of the buttons at the top right of this answer.Herbert

>Ed, Heaven no! That only was my way to tell Keith that I'd>prefer to help him via direct contact (mail pm) rather than>using the forum.><>>Herbert>Ok... was curious, as your post came across as telling him he needs to stop posting about this topic, at least to me. And I was honestly confused because the whole purpose of this forum is to get assistance and share the results with all who read the forum. :DSo, no worries... just practicing my blond moments (I AM a blond and can thus use any and all blond jokes. :( )

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi,In my "quest" :-) to educate gauge designers NOT to use code in their gauges that induces the so-called "continuously repeating events" bug:(the "continuously repeating events" bug being: unnecessarily giving an event at every gauge-schedule, which interferes with multi-key stroke commands in FS, causing a.o. sequences like "E 1 2" or "Shift-P 2" to fail)Many of the code in the attachments of this thread causes this problem.Suggestion for coding: Before issuing an event, first test if it is necessary to give the event.Just an example of what I mean(in symbolic notation).If you want the gear to be up above a certain airspeed, don't code it as:IF (airspeed > 150) THEN (SET-GEAR-UP)butIF (airspeed > 150 AND GEAR-IS-DOWN) THEN (SET-GEAR-UP)Difference: if Airspeed is above 150, the first code will give a GearUp event every 55 msec, the second coding with only do that if the gear isn't already UP. Hope you see the difference.The same applies to commanding Axis values.Best regards, Rob

Guest Pencil pusher

Rob,Thank you for your input, I was worried that I was being 'locked out' later in the flight & you have put your finger on it - Thanks. As you can see I'm still very new to this game and having found a working solution let it go, I now have to sort out the changes, so it will give me more thought and 'empirical experimentation' (try it and see!).Keith

Don't worry, we all had to start somewhere....And we probably all (me at least) learned it by trial-and-error :-)Cheers, Rob