Sign in to follow this  
pepe3w

VS 2008 Anyone?

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Anyone using VS 2008 yet? I just downloaded the trial to see if I want to upgrade, and wondered what others thoughts are (if any), beyond Bill's, "I'm never upgrading till they make me!" (Just kidding). =)Patrick

I'm not! Unless there's some major new whiz-bang feature(s), what possible reason could there be to "upgrade?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Well, I am happy to report that migration to 2008 is completely painless (unlike the previous transition).I had no trouble compiling a converted project, which required no code changes at all. There was one minor warning due to a compiler switch (/w64) being now deprecated, but this did not prevent a successful compilation.The main thing 2008 seems to offer for the FS developer seems to be it will be far easier to program for Vista, and support x64 as well. Even better, this version has some stuff built into it that defaults to the right settings for dealing with UAC. =)Other than that, and some cool things that interest me (like new intellisense and XAML stuff), it looks almost identical. There appears to be new stuff related to testing too.I have to say though that Visual Assist X is still the best investment I've ever made in coding. =) Best part is that the annual renewal for it is only $49 bucks. =)Your experience may vary. =) (If so tell us.)

>I'm not! Unless there's some major new whiz-bang feature(s),>what possible reason could there be to "upgrade?"Because the compiler version you use supports overflow hacks?? :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>I have to say though that Visual Assist X is still the best>investment I've ever made in coding. =) Best part is that>the annual renewal for it is only $49 bucks. =)EYYY, thanks a lot, didnt know it. Seems to be great.I'll give it a try.Jose