Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

What to adjust for FM

Hi all,Since my employer is the leading supplier of Gulfstream avionics packages, I am seeking all Gulfstream jets and I am planning to make realistic panels to match them. Since I am not an aircraft designer I am having problems. I don't want to spend my time on a panel until I get a jet with a realistic flight model. I have d/l'd some freeware jets and have tossed out the ones that I just don't like for various reasons. I found a G IV and it flies like a dream. But I have issues with some others, namely the Linder Designs Gulfstream G 100 and G V. Both of them have strange nose-down attitudes and unrealistic airspeed drops when the flaps are lowered and they seem to float like balloons. I can't get them to do a normal approach with a realistic AOA.I have not noticed any other problems during flight testing; both jets taxi, take off and fly straight and level with no apparent issues. And the models look really good - they have features such as leading edge flaps (GV) and reverse thrusters, etc. that I like. But I just can't get around the approach and landing FM. What should I look for in the aircraft.cfg or is that enough? Is there possible issues with the .air or .mdl files that I wont' be able to compensate for?Any advice would be appreciated.Dolph

FM information is very difficult to obtain. Especially since the primary source, avhistory.org, switched to a new forum program and the original posts are now not available.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I guess what I'm asking is what settings in the aircraft.cfg to adjust to make the plane stop floating even though the nose is at 45 degrees downward or is this kind of stuff in the files like .mdl and .air that I can't easily get at? The angle of attack sort of thing. I don't really mind that it isn't perfect, I can make guesses and tweaks (trial and error) until it's more realistic than it is right now if I know what settings affect AOA...

Flaps settings are in the aircraft.cfg file. The AOA is controlled by a few items, in the aircraft.cfg and the .air file.The .mdl file has absolutely nothing to do with the flight model. :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Both of them have strange nose-down attitudes and unrealistic airspeed drops when the flaps are lowered and they seem to float like balloons. I can't get them to do a normal approach with a realistic AOA.<<<

Guest Douglas K

>>>> FM information is very difficult to obtain. Especially since the primary source, avhistory.org, switched to a new forum program and the original posts are now not available.<<<

Wow! Did I ask for it or what? Douglas, hat tip to you for this info. It may take a while to digest but I think I can do it. I have hours and hours tweaking on panels but I'd bet nothing compares to toying with the flight characteristics of the jet itself. I will look for AirEd and AAM tomorrow (today, I mean, it's 4AM as I write this). What a hobby. Next is painting aircraft...

>>The point is Ed, you simply can

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Douglas K

>>>>All he asked was regarding flap behavior and AOA. I do believe you went WAY beyond that question.<<<

>>Check my replies again. Take your time and read carefully.>You

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I didn't ask a question.<<<

AAM seems to be unavailable. I did find AirEd though. I have not had time to do much but install it and peek at an airfile. Wow. I am admitting that this may take me some time to get accustomed to. Question is does AAM do a better job than AirEd or can I get by with that? That is assuming I can't find what I need in the aircraft.cfg...Dolph

Guest Douglas K

>>>> AAM seems to be unavailable. I did find AirEd though.<<<

Douglas,Thank you for another very informative post. Yes I would like a copy of AAM as I really like the graphing feature. And the links are excellent. As soon as I get my "Honeydo" work done I am going to sit down with a cup of coffee and get crackin'. 54 hour work weeks take a toll on a man...Please send the link to dolph98ATcableoneDOTnetdolph

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Thank you for another very informative post. Yes I would like a copy of AAM as I really like the graphing feature. And the links are excellent. As soon as I get my "Honeydo" work done I am going to sit down with a cup of coffee and get crackin'. 54 hour work weeks take a toll on a man...<<<