Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Copyright theft again!

Can you say thread hijack in latin? :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Over the past week or so, I have been trying to keep my cool over at their forum and try to find a resolution. It is of no use. It is as if we are dealing with children. I am sure that I will no longer be allowed to post there as of now. Very frustrating when you put the proof right in front of them and they agree but refuse to fix it. Well, thats enough for me, I need a beer.:-beerchug

Guest juddf18pilot

They just love ripping people off. So as predicted, he's just encouraging his members...theyliketostealxv0.jpg

They are referencing a Wiki entry for a "Free Software License".Now... I'm not certain what gives them the impression Wiki is a legal stance in a court of law (it's not)... nor am I certain they comprehend that any license they reference only legally applies if the owner of said "property" chooses to state it applies.The kids over there really think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want and never have to face the consequences.DMCA is something they really need to read up on, in depth. They also need to learn that "Free Software License" is not a global concept that applies to whatever they want it to.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>Stet si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es >>C'mon Ed ...Let the boys have their fun.>>(Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!) CJ }( Thank the Lord Harry for Google!I can, so I am not - and "he" didn't... But seriously and back on topic. I have loaded nearly all my paints to Avsim. If a "host site" writes and asks if they can also host my paints, I will normally say yes after a visit.Even so, I have seen my paints turn up elsewhere occasionally. Fortunately and so far, the site ops have kept my original readmes on board - even the faulty ones with typos :-lolIt does sometimes cause a spot of indigestion, but after a polite e-mail from me, I have always found that we reach an agreement. I see no point in heavy handing a freeware host - as long as he isn't making money from my work. After all - my upload to Avsim was marked using the Avsim dropdown list item stating "Freeware - Fully functional at no cost, unlimited distribution"So if you chose that, well I don't think you have reason to complain.Just my tuppence ha'penny worth

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

What fine upstanding members of the community they are. Now they are openly advocating software piracy. Why is it I am not surprised??:-erks

Not to cause problems but its been a good while now and iv heard nothing from any legal teams. I still say i did nothing illegal but its all water under the bridge as far as im concerned. Big deal ya know? Im anticipating the launch of MSFlight and will again mod planes. I now have a modeler working with me so i will have some SimGameIt actual aircraft and i will include paintkits and whatnot and please feel free to mod away. I do apologize for being such a jerk but when threatened i stand my ground. That is to be respected not condemned. Im a huge supporter of Occupy Wall Street and the only reason i havent updated the site that you all said was taken down is cause im busy flying the real thing. In fact there is a version of my real plane (1984 American Aerolites Falcon) done by the gentleman himself that made it for aerosoft. This is me in real life flying a Quicksilver MX.

m sure there are hard feelings but i cannot change that.Hope you all realize since this drama that i was legally right and really its no big deal. Again i apologize for being a jerk but you should have seen some of the forum posts at me. I notice those werent quoted in this thread.Hope everyone has fun flying. I love doing it in real life but anxious to get back to the sim.Sincerely Michael Callahan aka SimGameIt aka BillClintonSuks. For all those non-haters feel free to add me on FB @ http://www.facebook.com/SimGameItBest reguards to all even Sonic and Rick Piper. Edited by UltralightPilot

No... you're not legally right. If you had stolen any of my work... you would have been in court. Promise.I've requested you be banned from AVSIM because you're a pirate and you endorse piracy.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Grrrrrrr...... Of all the unmitigated Gall....Go ahead, violate the terms of one of my copyrights.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your crotch...

Hmm. Perhaps erroneously I've always considered it to be a compliment if one of my planes winds up on some site I've never heard of, and they haven't messed with it being my 'creation'. I'd feel differently if I were good enough at this to be one of the "payware guys", and actually copyrighted my work, and included legalese specifically barring this sort of thing. Then I would be upset. But I'm not.

I agree with a few points on here. Being that its called freeware, doesn't necessarily mean it's your and you can do with it what you want. Freeware gives a chance for talented people to expand the knowledge base they have of a particualar hobby/interest and share it with others. I love the fact that we have so many gifted addon developers and especially the ones who give their projects out to the public for free. That being said, once another party tampers or alter the original freeware project, in the eyes of others, it has lost it self from the original creator. I'm not saying that modding and adding liveries is bad, but without the permission of the creator its lost that connection, and the developers then feels like crap. Moral of this run-on is give credit where deserved and make that credit be known, if permission is granted.eg:L-39 base model created by xyzmilitary 23 livery created by me

And anyone claiming/acting otherwise (i.e. denying a designer the right to say NO) is doing the fightsimming community a very bad favour and should be put out of "business" a.s.a.p. IMHO.
I beg to differ. Current copyright laws hinder creativity, especially with regards to "copyrighted freeware". Default legal status of freeware should be something along the lines of Creative Commons, which allows further development. I have a very personal experience with a set of AI aircraft by an author I've been unable to contact for years now. Without his consent I simply cannot republish his models (which I hacked to be compatible with FSX) since it would treated as a criminal offence where I'm located.What has the author won? Nothing.What has the community lost? Fewer FSX-compatible AI aircraft are available.I'd say too strict copyright is doing a bad favor.

The sky up above is so much bluer.