Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Standard or Stock animations for FS9

Guest Pencil pusher

I am having difficulty with Stock animations... Using Gmax I am using the SDK approved titles for Flap Handle & Mixture lever, but the 'mouse hands' go in the opposite direction to the movement required. I also need to change the calibration of the Propeller pitch control lever and the Elevator (or pitch) trim wheel. I get hardly any rotation on the pitch trim wheel and would like to achieve similar to the stock DC3. Studying the .xml for the DC3 gives me no guidance - am I being thick - again? I have had to use the keyframed Flaps (mooney bravo)notation as the axis driven didn't work, and the deflection is less than that entered in gmax - any clues? Aileron, elevator, rudder and Canopy animations are OK as are throttle, and after a struggle, the dual joysticks. All ideas welcome! - not all accepted though...By the way - I can change the RPM with pitch lever, but the sound only changes with throttle movement; which does not change engine rpm, only boost press - wierd, not like the real thing in my experience.

>I am having difficulty with Stock animations... Using Gmax I>am using the SDK approved titles for Flap Handle & Mixture>lever, but the 'mouse hands' go in the opposite direction to>the movement required. Then try using lever_flap_reversed and lever_mixture_reversed instead!>I also need to change the calibration>of the Propeller pitch control lever and the Elevator (or>pitch) trim wheel. I get hardly any rotation on the pitch trim>wheel and would like to achieve similar to the stock DC3.>Studying the .xml for the DC3 gives me no guidance - am I>being thick - again?Try using this custom code (change the to your own of course>: trimtab_elevator_DA42trimtab_elevator_keyXELEVATOR TRIM POSITIONradians0100>I have had to use the keyframed Flaps>(mooney bravo)notation as the axis driven didn't work, and the>deflection is less than that entered in gmax - any clues?If your aircraft.cfg entry is correct, you should be able to simply use the stock, axis driven partname animation:[Flaps.0]type= 1span-outboard= 0.500extending-time= 4.000system_type= 3damaging-speed= 105.000blowout-speed= 130.000lift_scalar= 1.000drag_scalar= 1.000pitch_scalar= 1.000flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000flaps-position.1= 16.000, 0.000flaps-position.2= 32.000, 0.000>By the way - I can change the RPM with pitch lever, but the>sound only changes with throttle movement; which does not>change engine rpm, only boost press - wierd, not like the real>thing in my experience.The sim has been this way since FS98 (possibly before). It's one of the things that never seems to get fixed...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Pencil pusher

Bill,Thank you for your prompt reply - simple things like using _reverse are too complicated for my illogical mind!Thanks also for your custom code. For both of the above I will let you know the result when I have incorporated them - juggling too many other things at the moment!My .cfg file entry is correct for flap deflection, but the result might have been corrupted during development in gmax, possibly because of the linear rotation bit, or because the outer flaps have a swept forward hinge line and initially I hadn't got the gizmo set properly. I thought that I had zero'ed the animation though.RegardsKeith

Guest Pencil pusher

Bill,Update on your advice: The Mixture reverse worked fine without any change to the animation, The Flaps reverse required erasing the original animation ( Track view delete of transition) and redoing the animation in reverse. Exterior view of flap deflection is still not correct even though I have rechecked the .air file and cfg edit - I even inserted a false angle - the aerodynamic response was correct but the visual not!Now its onto the pitch trim - BTW - what is the DA42 entry?RegardsKeithP.S ever come across the MIL-TFD-JF1 spec?

>Exterior>view of flap deflection is still not correct even though I>have rechecked the .air file and cfg edit - I even inserted a>false angle - the aerodynamic response was correct but the>visual not!Use the "Affect Pivot Only" control to rotate the pivot axis 180

Fr. Bill    

Guest Pencil pusher

Bill,I have at last returned to my problems after a spell re-doing the instruments that I am using (as well as decorating the living room).Flap deflection has been cured, but only after animating the Fuel selector wrongly - it does help if one reads ALL of the SDK instructions! I had key framed the fuel selector for 0 - 100 frames when it should be 0 - 50 frames - it only rotated 90

Guest Pencil pusher

Bill,Further to my previous. Having said that all was OK, I could not get the rotation sense of the handwheel correct! I suddenly saw the leadin to the SDK Keyframe Animation Names for Interior Parts and then cottoned on to where to place your custom code - makemdl.parts.xml! After a bit of trial and error, because the rotation direction was back to front, I changed the Scale to -ve100, all is now very well in the land of Sim and I have learnt and partially understood a whole lot more. I hope that this might also help others with similar problems.Thanks again.kind regardsKeith

>Bill,>Further to my previous. Having said that all was OK, I could>not get the rotation sense of the handwheel correct! I>suddenly saw the leadin to the SDK Keyframe Animation Names>for Interior Parts and then cottoned on to where to place your>custom code - makemdl.parts.xml! After a bit of trial and>error, because the rotation direction was back to front, I>changed the Scale to >-ve100, all is now very well in the land of Sim and I have>learnt and partially understood a whole lot more. I hope that>this might also help others with similar problems.>Thanks again.>kind regardsNo problem. Another solution would have been to use the "Affect Pivot Only" button, then rotate the Axis Gizmo 180

Fr. Bill