Sign in to follow this  
Guest fbnweoghnwd

Rookie with Questions

Guest Johnny V

Actually I probably haven't even got that far yet. I've been messing with MS Flight sims since floppy disc days, the big ones!, done some rearranging of files, modified scenery and panels and done some fairly respectible paints and some dash grapics but have yet to get my feet wet with doing any gauges. I'm still in the middle of reading what I've found so far and waiting for some of that to sink into the couple brain cells I have left. As background I fly mostly old and slow stuff at tree top level but would like to add a few modern conveniences without them showing up like a sore thumb. So now for the torrent of probably stupid questions: My first question would be how would I open a default gauge to change the graphics in it? Maybe a tutorial somewhere on changing the grapic parts of a gauge? Or is there a way to place it behind the dash so that all that would be seen would be the screen part? Thus being able to round the edges of the screen a bit. What I would like to do is to change the frame of the fsgps_Garmin500 to look kind of like an old style tv or radar screen. Ok, that was a bunch of questions in one breath. Secondly, and then will give it a break for this round. Would one of you fantastic gauge guru's be willing to tackle a small gauge for me? I've attached a picture of the basic idea for what I'm looking for. Because I do mostly VFR/Map flying. I don't need all the functions of a complete AP but would like to incorparate some of the features into one that I could place on an old plane that would blend in a bit. The picture is a quick paste and hack job but I think you can get the idea of what I'm looking for. In the quick design I show both individual switches and a rocker switch. Not really concerned about how it's done could even use toggles. It's just basic heading and alttitude settings with the added feature of being able to enter your next heading, alttitude, decent and climb settings ahead of time then switching back and forth. Would be more than willing to offer some of my limited graphic abilities for paints or dash bmp's for your time. Can answer here, send me an e-mail or pm.

Guest fbnweoghnwd

>>My first question would be how would I open a default gauge to change the graphics in it?You could do that with FS Panel Studio. You wouldn't be able to distribute the gauges, though..due to copyright restrictions.As for your antique gauge design, you might want to go through the tutorials included in the SDK docs to get your feet wet. It's also very useful to analyze the xml from stock gauges that do something similar to what you're trying to do. With a little poking around you can figure out what the values do, and make your own edits to suit your needs.

Guest Johnny V

Thank you much for the reply, I was begining to think I had forgot my mouthwash. I'm still digging and reading and might just come up with a few things given a little time. I knew I shouldn't have gotten the "other" panel design program. lol. Although in all fairness it does do the job very well and is easy to navigate. I've almost come up with what I want for the AP by editing the panel.cfg and using some default and freeware gauges. Now I just have to figure out how to switch between what information is being sent to the AP and what I have programed for the next setting. >>"It's also very useful to analyze the xml from stock gauges that do something similar to what you're trying to do." Again my question is how to open a .gau file to see the contents?

> Again my question is how to open a .gau file to see the>contents?You simply can't! They are compiled C++ code...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest pasodefe

I found a utility on flightsim.com.do a file search for GAUBMP2.zip in the file libraryits a little ackward to get used to at first but it works for .gau filesHere is the readme file that comes with it.************************************************12/27/99 Here's a little utility that extracts bitmaps from FS98/CFS/FS2000 gaugefiles and reinserts them after repainting. It's similar to one I did a whileback called GAUBMP. The biggest difference is that GAUBMP2 can handle thevery large GAU files in CFS and FS2000. Another difference is that GAUBMP2has no fancy palette options. You simply make palette changes in your paintprogram and copy the changes to the GAU file with the BMP. To install, just place the GAUBMP2.EXE file in the same subfolder with thegauges you wish to modify. This could be the existing GAUGES subfolder,although you may find it wise to create a special subfolder for modifyinggauges. In any case, you should save copies of all gauges BEFORE modifyingthem. GAUBMP2 also requires some Visual Basic 5.0 (SP3 version) driver filesin your WINDOWSSYSTEM subfolder. These files are widely available in suchplaces as the "Must Have Files" library at www.flightsim.com.USAGE:----- The interface is meant to be self-explanatory. When the program is run,a file list box presents all the GAU files in the current subfolder. Whenyou highlight a file, then double-click it or press Enter, the program beginssearching the file for bitmaps. This process can take some time, so pleasebe patient. Even with a fast computer, a very large GAU file can takeseveral minutes to search. When the search is complete, you can choose fromtwo major options: GAU to BMP, or BMP to GAU. The GAU to BMP screen allows you to view all bitmaps in the file. It alsoallows you to convert any bitmap to a BMP file with a name of your ownchoosing. Whenever you convert a bitmap to a BMP, you may wish to rememberits number from the blue box. It can be very helpful later if you want toreinsert a modified BMP into the correct place in the GAU. The BMP to GAUscreen allows you to view whatever BMP files exist in the current subfolderand to choose a bitmap number for reinserting a BMP. I hereby declare this utility to be in the Public Domain. Anyone may useit for any non-violent purpose, including commerce without permission. Youdon't need to acknowledge me as the original author, but it would be nice.If you make any money from it, feel free to send me some. The utility shouldnot harm your computer but, if you imagine it has, I accept no liability.Chuck Domechdome@worldnet.att.netVisit my home page at http://home.att.net/~chdome

Guest pasodefe

found a utility on flightsim.com.do a file search for GAUBMP2.zip in the file libraryits a little ackward to get used to at first but it works for.gau filesHere is the readme file that comes with it.************************************************12/27/99Here's a little utility that extracts bitmaps from FS98/CFS/FS2000 gaugefiles and reinserts them after repainting. It's similar to one I did a whileback called GAUBMP. The biggest difference is that GAUBMP2 can handle thevery large GAU files in CFS and FS2000. Another difference is that GAUBMP2has no fancy palette options. You simply make palette changes in your paintprogram and copy the changes to the GAU file with the BMP.To install, just place the GAUBMP2.EXE file in the same subfolder with thegauges you wish to modify. This could be the existing GAUGES subfolder,although you may find it wise to create a special subfolder for modifyinggauges. In any case, you should save copies of all gauges BEFORE modifyingthem. GAUBMP2 also requires some Visual Basic 5.0 (SP3 version) driver filesin your WINDOWSSYSTEM subfolder. These files are widely available in suchplaces as the "Must Have Files" library at www.flightsim.com.USAGE:-----The interface is meant to be self-explanatory. When the program is run,a file list box presents all the GAU files in the current subfolder. Whenyou highlight a file, then double-click it or press Enter, the program beginssearching the file for bitmaps. This process can take some time, so pleasebe patient. Even with a fast computer, a very large GAU file can takeseveral minutes to search. When the search is complete, you can choose fromtwo major options: GAU to BMP, or BMP to GAU.The GAU to BMP screen allows you to view all bitmaps in the file. It alsoallows you to convert any bitmap to a BMP file with a name of your ownchoosing. Whenever you convert a bitmap to a BMP, you may wish to rememberits number from the blue box. It can be very helpful later if you want toreinsert a modified BMP into the correct place in the GAU. The BMP to GAUscreen allows you to view whatever BMP files exist in the current subfolderand to choose a bitmap number for reinserting a BMP.I hereby declare this utility to be in the Public Domain. Anyone may useit for any non-violent purpose, including commerce without permission. Youdon't need to acknowledge me as the original author, but it would be nice.If you make any money from it, feel free to send me some. The utility shouldnot harm your computer but, if you imagine it has, I accept no liability.Chuck Domechdome@worldnet.att.netVisit my home page at http://home.att.net/~chdomeFS_Nut

Guest Johnny V

Thanks mate will give it a go

Hey Johnny mate, I'm curious as to if you resolved this issue you're having with the gauge and stuff? If not I think I might be able to help the gauge you're talking about is a relatively simple thing to do and I think I'd be able to fix you one in no time, just let me know if you still need it, and if so I'd need some details because I don't get everything on that picture, the "PRG" in-particular.BTW mind providing me with a like to some of your repaints mate, I've been wanting some paints and I suck at painting so maybe we'll trade if you will?

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png