Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Anyone tell me why this xml isn't working?

Even as a relative beginner, I thought it would be fairly easy to create a clickspot to open an overhead panel, but I am having no luck. The 'hand' appears over the spot in the main panel, but clicking does nothing.I have added the gauge to my panel.cfg file like this:gauge87=MD-83!Overhead, 546,707,17,17My xml file "overhead.xml" and is in the gauges folder, in its own folder called MD-83, together with a copy of overhead.bmp.My xml file is:250 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)Any reason why I am drawing a blank?Thanks,Martin

Hi, Martin...FWIW, I use code like this...(>K:PANEL_2) (>K:VIEW_RIGHT) (>K:PANEL_4)This gauges is located in Panel 2. It toggles panel 2 off, swaps outside views and toggles panel 4 on. (The view change element is needed because both panels have windows and they face in different directions.) If your overhead panel doesn't fill the monitor screen, you only need (>K:PANEL_2) to pop-up the overhead panel.Good luck,Glenn

Did you check the ident= section of your panel.cfg to make sure that it is either:ident=250orident=OVERHEAD_WINDOWotherwise, 250 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) should work!BTW, "Check if you DO NOT wish to use emotion icons in your message" will prevent the smilie from screwing with the XML... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yea mate just make sure you check the ident of the overhead window in the Panel.cfg corispondes with w/e you're putting in your xml because then it'll be opening something that don't exists I've done this too.

Good Day,

Engjell Berisha

Angel-Simulations-Small.png

Only recently had time to fiddle with this - and it's still not working!!! Hope you guys are still willing to give some input.What I've got is this: a folder called 'Overhead' (in the main FS9 gauges folder) and in that an xml file 'Overhead.xml' and a bitmap 'Icon_Transparent.bmp'.My xml file is this:(>K:PANEL_2) (>K:PANEL_4) and in my panel.cfg file I have this:gauge56=Overhead!Overhead, 0,400,150,150I checked the ident of the overhead panel - tried 1050 (250 is used elsewhere) and ALSO OVERHEAD_WINDOW.Result: never a clickspot anywhere to be found in the a/c cockpit.If there is something clearly awry with what I am doing, I'd really appreciate the advice: at the moment I can see no reason for this not to work.Thanks again,Martin

Only recently had time to fiddle with this - and it's still not working!!! Hope you guys are still willing to give some input.What I've got is this: a folder called 'Overhead' (in the main FS9 gauges folder) and in that an xml file 'Overhead.xml' and a bitmap 'Icon_Transparent.bmp'.My xml file is this:(>K:PANEL_2) (>K:PANEL_4) and in my panel.cfg file I have this:gauge56=Overhead!Overhead, 0,400,150,150I checked the ident of the overhead panel - tried 1050 (250 is used elsewhere) and ALSO OVERHEAD_WINDOW.Result: never a clickspot anywhere to be found in the a/c cockpit.If there is something clearly awry with what I am doing, I'd really appreciate the advice: at the moment I can see no reason for this not to work.Thanks again,Martin

More haste, less speed - posted the wrong xml file!!!! This is what it should be (ident for overhead panel is set to 10501:10501(>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)Still no clickspot in the panel..Martin

You forgot to add the header line <?xml version... etc.?><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>10501(>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)All you needed to do was load up one of the examples found in the SimIcons1024.CAB file and use it as a "template" to modify the XML script to your needs...

Fr. Bill    

None of the xml files in my Simicons.cab file has any sort of header - the first line for all of them starts

Hi,Header in FS9 XML :<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>is irrelevant, can be present or not. It doesn't affect gauge's load or behavior. Not even loading this format of gauge in FSX.Now, FSX XML has this kind of header:AceXML DocumentFilename.xml....*****Gauge body*****....All within must be present for the gauge to work.Tom

>None of the xml files in my Simicons.cab file has any sort of>header - the first line for all of them starts >Is that wrong then Bill?Are you looking at the one from FSX or the one from FS9?The SimIcons1024.CAB file from FS9 does not have that header, but the one from FSX does. Even though the XML Scripts are identical, the header is necessary for the gauge to work properly in FSX.FS9:50 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)FSX:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>50 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)

Fr. Bill    

>More haste, less speed - posted the wrong xml file!!!! This>is what it should be (ident for overhead panel is set to>10501:>>Version="1.0">>> >> > > 10501(>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) >> >>>>>Still no clickspot in the panel..>>MartinAre you leaving a space between 10501 and (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE) ??It must be one.BTW, I understand you've already solved those duplicated tags from your previous posts?Tom