Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Zoom and Parallax Issues in FS2004 and FSX

Hi all,I thought I would let you know that FSAviator has posted a tutorial on my site, dealing with the issue of the view out the window from 2D and VC cockpits. This is a rarely discussed but critical issue for the pilot of your panels, since it directly affects his/her view out the window (and thus their sense of realism).We have also discovered that a zoom of 1.00 in FSX is not equivalent to a zoom of 1.00 in FS2004 (it's about 1.37), and thus special steps have to be performed to get a realistic zoom level in FSX cockpits. Unfortunately this must be performed by the user, not by the cockpit creator.I apologize if some of this is old news; I don't normally follow this forum.You can read FSAviator's tutorial here:http://www.calclassic.com/sci_tutorial/index.htmlAnd how to fix the zoom issues in FSX here:http://www.calclassic.com/propliner_tutorial_fsx.htmHope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest jprintz

Interesting reading. Both your tutorial and his. You both clearly put quite a bit of time into them. Thank you!What are the errors he speaks of when he says "FSX has additional and serious design errors by default." Is it merely what you discuss in your tutorial, the difference between the default (zoom 1.0) field of view in FS9 vs. FSX? (FS9's 1.0 equals ~0.7 in FSX.) Whether it's an "error" in FSX or not is subjective, no? If we're going to be as faithful to Pythagoras as that whole tutorial seems to want us to be, then the "correct" field of view for a given user cannot be determined unless one knows his monitor size and distance from it, no? Am I missing something here? AS LONG AS the field of view of the cockpit correctly matches the field of view of the scenery (in other words, from the most realistic aircraft.cfg eyepoint, a gauge that would be 10 degrees to the pilot's left overlays scenery that is 10 degrees left... of course with an appropriate view angle as to pitch)... as long as that is met, then I just don't see how FS9's default zoom can be described as better, and FSX's as flawed. Personally, I find FSX's default 1.0 zoom to be much more realistic with respect to displayed height than FS9's... i.e., from where I sit, a 3 degree glideslope in FSX LOOKS much more like the 3 degrees we see from a cockpit in real life, while in FS9 those same 3 degrees look too shallow and flat. Am I the only one who LIKES this change in default zoom? (BTW, in fairness, since we're talking about zoom, I should add that I get my peripheral vision cues from a 2nd monitor, so I don't feel the same urge to zoom out that many probably do.)

>Am I>the only one who LIKES this change in default zoom? You are by no means the only one... I prefer it myself... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator