Sign in to follow this  
nickpike

C gauges in FS11

Guest ziporama

WPF is the windows presentation layer, aimed squarely at replacing the 10+ year old GDI and GDI+ graphics, and probably the MFC controls layer. Not quite mature yet, but very promising for rapid application development. XAML is the extended XML (Extensible Application Markup Language) used to design WPF, although all of it can be done directly in code as well.Key features are direct DirectX hardware assisted replacement to 2D or 3D graphics (ViewPort3D) with lights/cameras. True, doesn't have shadows or some of the 3D effects yet, but 2D has things like glow and other dynamic effects. From my testing in FSX, easily makes up for the performance hit incurred through the use of the .NET CLR virtual machine.Here're some details on the 3D portion:http://blogs.msdn.com/pantal/archive/2008/...tools-tech.aspxHere's an example of WPF at work, in the form of Silverlight 3D (Silverlight is the WPF presentation layer for the web, identical to the WPF desktop):http://www.telerik.com/demos/silverlight/Q...gine/index.htmlCheers,Etienne

Oh wonderful! Another MS "masterpiece..."That "Silverlite" WPF application caused my Internet Exploder to -well- explode, and Netscape apparently tried to perform some unnatural act, 'cause it barfed too...I had to reboot the 'puter to get going again... :-roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ziporama

LOLSorry about that - not supposed to happen. I use IE7 and Firefox here with no issues on XP or Vista.Etienne

>>The WPF might hold an answer but then you'd have to use>that>>C# that you seem not too fond of.>>>>J->>What's "The WPF"... The World Pencil-pusher Federation?>>C# is not for developing DLLs. It's entire system is built>around developing applications with a UI. Because of that it>is not as powerful and simplistic to use as straight C/C++ is>for a DLL.>>Proper tool for proper job.>>Considering C# is C++ with a Delphi class-wrapper library...>*shrug*.>Managed code is not going away and C#/WPF/.NET/etc. could, upon futher maturity, provide a solution to graduating the C with MACROS system we are using.C# is for developing a managed UI, DLL or whatever you'd like, so "It's entire system is built around developing applications with a UI" isn't entirely correct unless I am not understanding you. Also, C# isn't quite "C++ with a Delphi class-wrapper library..." - despite Anders Hejlsberg's involvement - but I understand the context which causes you to say so. In any case, my desire to see something other than the XML and C APIs we've been given are outside the scope of the OP's intent - sorry for going off topic.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Just dropped in to say we support Wades view regarding 2D Panel System.Another poster wrote:"The other approach that makes sense to me is to simply move all gauges into the 3D models (many are now doing this now, already bypassing the standard .GAU files, and getting major FPS gains as a result)" Have you considered the limitations when it comes to "glass" gauges?While that method goes back to CFS2 and is used with great succes by a friends 3P development house it's not a method we can use with complex "glass" which is by the way is what nearly every new real world aircraft uses:-)The day we all were all forced to use this method would be the day we would simply padlock the door.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

There's a few features that XML cannot handle, so it would have to be made as comprehensive as C is.I hope they ditch the overbloated XML format as used in the aces tool application, and have applications that use the more traditional/ original XML code format.cheers,nick