Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Return of Eastern Airlines?

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/st.../14/story1.htmlOld news, but I saw it just today on the FlightAware Squawks page.Eastern Airlines could be on the verge of a revival, and it once again could be Miami-based. What do you think?I've heard of Eastern Airlines and I know their basic service, but I wasn't around when it was at full force. To those who have flown on it and experienced it...how was it? Would you be happy to see it back?Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest Staggerwing

>Would you be happy to see it back?Guess I don't have any left over feelings for the name, but why not use it again.Keeping in mind that they are looking to reuse the Easten name and any service they provide in the future would be starting up in a different time period with who knows what kind of budget etc. No way to compare the old with the new IMO.I will say, I'm glad *I'm* not thinking of starting up an airline these days.

Guest fullstoplanding

>To those who>have flown on it and experienced it...how was it? Would you be>happy to see it back?I worked for Eastern Airlines in Miami as a Radio Mechanic for 2-years in the '60s. Even if the name is revived I don't think there are many people left who would remember it in a meaningful way. I believe it was Thomas Wolfe who said something like this--You can't go home again. To answer the question above, How was it? It was a great airline.OK, here one. For those able to get buddy passes or what ever they're called in the industry now, here's how it worked then at Eastern. Anywhere, one-way on the Eastern system, $3 coach and $5 1st class. These passes were for the employee and his family. I knew of guys who on there day's off would fly Miami to New York, spend some time there and come back that same day. The airlines were regulated then and even though you boarded last, there were plenty of empty seats.--Roger

The very best flight I ever flew was an Eastern L-1011 red eye from Orlando to San Francisco.Even though the plane was pretty full - the crew was having a great time, enjoying serving the passengers.When you get down to it - the planes are always basically the same - though today's world is divided into those with or without personal entertainment devices.It is the crew which makes the difference. Happy employees who are good at their job always make a good flight.On the other hand.....BTW - Eastern, Pan Am and TWA all still fly in my FS world.

Guest 3rd seat
The very best flight I ever flew was an Eastern L-1011 red eye from Orlando to San Francisco.Even though the plane was pretty full - the crew was having a great time, enjoying serving the passengers.When you get down to it - the planes are always basically the same - though today's world is divided into those with or without personal entertainment devices.It is the crew which makes the difference. Happy employees who are good at their job always make a good flight.On the other hand.....BTW - Eastern, Pan Am and TWA all still fly in my FS world.
As a former EAL 3Holer Crew,EAL was a fantastic place to work untill the 2 Franks(Borman and Lorenzo) took over. Went to hell in a handbag real short :(

Thanks guys for the replies and links! I look forward to the return of Eastern!

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

It will be the same name, but not the same history. The old Eastern had some legends running it throughout its history. I'm sure they won't now! I used to fly them back in the 70's. My grandfather taught at their training facility on 36th Street in Miami after he retired from TWA.Don

Guest -BeNt-

I flew Eastern as a Kid, from what I can remember it was really cool, but I'm a bit biased because we were some of the first boarded and it was my first flight ever. So my dad told the flight crew that it was my first time flying and the co-pilot came back and got me let me sit in the cockpit for a few minutes, and gave me some plastic pilot wings and told me he expected to see me in the seat next to him one day. That was something really cool for a kid only 8 years old. OF course they would never do that now......unfortunately. But none the less from what I can remember we always flew Eastern growing up until they went under, and we swapped to Delta, we all regretted that later on, then on to Continental which was good up until a couple years ago. I think if I had to fly now I would probably fly myself, the airlines are in horrible shape, and unless Eastern can open back up with some sort of good perk for flying them other than ticket prices then they will fail shortly after. Beause I would rather pay another $25 and have an excellent flight versus saving the cash and being cramped in a plane, with a crappy, over loaded, flight crew.

Guest zacharace

I was only a few years old when Eastern went under, but my parents remember it with fondness. (Them, and People Express :( ). Living in Connecticut at the time, my dad flew the Shuttle a lot on business, and also connected through JFK and LGA for a good amount of his longer-distance travel.

I flew Eastern as a Kid, from what I can remember it was really cool, but I'm a bit biased because we were some of the first boarded and it was my first flight ever. So my dad told the flight crew that it was my first time flying and the co-pilot came back and got me let me sit in the cockpit for a few minutes, and gave me some plastic pilot wings and told me he expected to see me in the seat next to him one day. That was something really cool for a kid only 8 years old. OF course they would never do that now......unfortunately. But none the less from what I can remember we always flew Eastern growing up until they went under, and we swapped to Delta, we all regretted that later on, then on to Continental which was good up until a couple years ago. I think if I had to fly now I would probably fly myself, the airlines are in horrible shape, and unless Eastern can open back up with some sort of good perk for flying them other than ticket prices then they will fail shortly after. Beause I would rather pay another $25 and have an excellent flight versus saving the cash and being cramped in a plane, with a crappy, over loaded, flight crew.
Interesting opinion; I wonder how many other folks out there share the same desire for comfort over cost. And, unless you're flying domestic first class (an increasing rarity these days), there aren't too many US airlines catering to comfort anymore... :(