Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

Abacus FSDS and Vista

In an earlier post, I described a problem I was having with FSDS 3.5.1 (within the Vista OS) in getting a .bgl file to compile. An E Mail to Abacus Tech Support resulted in a fast response and quick solution, which I am passing along.For General Information:Turning OFF User Account Control cures this particular problem. I turn UAC back on after I am through with the FSDS work, though I am not convinced it is really necessary.Regards,Thrakete

"Run as Administrator" should make things work when UAC is on.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Hi Jeff,I agree, and that's normally what I try first in situations like that. However, I can't find a way to do it with FSDS. For example, a right clck on gmax.exe offers "Run as Administrator" on the resulting pop-up, but FSDS comes up with an entirely different string of options.If you know an alternative means of getting the "Run as Administrator" option, please let me know.Their are some other ways to do this also, like moving the SDK out of the "Programs Files" Folder so that UAC stops "protecting" it, but I consider the alternatives less desirable.Thanks for the reply.Regards,Thrakete

>Their are some other ways to do this also, like moving the SDK>out of the "Programs Files" Folder so that UAC stops>"protecting" it, but I consider the alternatives less>desirable.Why? I have never even installed any version of FS to the ..Program Files folder...It makes even more sense to install the SDK to a short path...On my main FS computer (Vista HP) for example:E:FS2002E:FS9.VirginE:FS9E:FSXE:FSXSDKBy doing it this way I can simply disable UAC for the entire E: drive.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,No argument with your logic, but to answer the "why?";1. Personal preference. I am accustomed to Flight Sim and the SDK being at the default location.2. Disabling the UAC for FSDS only takes a few seconds, and I don't have to change my configuration.However, thanks for the input.Regards,Thrakete

Guest FelixFFDS

T - but you forgot the most important reason - We're FSDS Luddites - why do it the "easy" way ?:)Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design(Explanatory note - that's a running joke I have with Fr. Bill ... )

Since I am not in possession of any certifiable documentation of Leicestershire history, or incontrovertible evidence of Mr. Luddite's activities, I will not attempt to contribute further. :(Regards,Thrakete

Go to the actual executable, you can set "Run as Administrator" there.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Hi Jeff,You are correct.For reasons I don't understand, the shortcut that the "FSDS 3.5.1 Install" process puts on the desktop will not allow running the program as Administrator. However, either starting the program from the actual .exe or a new shortcut created on the desktop from the .exe right-click options does. I haven't tried compiling with the new arrangement, will have to make sure Vista does not have another surprise waiting.If not, this should eliminate the step of turning UAC Off and back On while running the program.Thanks,Thrakete