Sign in to follow this  
Aviator81

VC gauge covered by background

Hello all,I've recently been attempting to revamp some of my panels to get rid of fluff gauges that I never use and that eat FPS and replace them with something better.Unfortunately, I've been running into some problems inserting the new gauges into the VC. Basically, the new gauges is cut-up and/or covered by the background like the image that should hopefully be attached to this post.Is there a way around this effect through manipulation of the background bitmaps, alpha channels, etc., or is this related directly to the model and can't be changed at all?Thanks,Greg

The display of gauges in the VC depends entirely upon the size/shape of the "polygons" onto which the gauge is mapped.When the a/c is built, the gauge polygon is created to be the precise size/shape of the gauge that will be used, so you are limited to replacing "like-for-like."IOW, the gauge you wish to use as a replacement must be pretty much identical to the one it replaces.From the picture you posted, apparently this model has only the "screen" and the tops of the "3d buttons" set up to display their FMS "gauge" and that is why you aren't able to simply plop in your desired FMS/FMC...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That makes a lot of sense, though its a little disappointing...I don't suppose there is a way to decompile an aircraft model in order to add in those polygons so that I could put the gauges I want there?

No, there is not... thankfully! If there were, it would be the death of payware and probably freeware as well...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, when you put it in that light, I guess its probably for the best... though I will say its a shame when the designer's attention to detail (the inclusion of only the button and screen poly's here) denies the end user the ability to customize certain parts of an aircraft in any way...This particular aircraft's "FMC" is none other than the stock gps dolled up to look like a moving map, something that tends to kill fps on my machine. And, since I fly exclusively from the VC, my options are to live with 4-7fps, delete the gauge entirely and have a big black spot there, or move on to another model, which is probably what I'll do. Had this designer simply plopped a square down there, I'd swap the gauge out and happily be on my way.Oh well, thanks for the info.Greg