Sign in to follow this  

eDimensional 3-D glasses feedbacks

Hello, for the people who owns those eDimensional 3-d glasses, please tell me what you think of this product.What are the advantages of it?What are the disadvantages of it?Which one is better - wireless or wired?Thanks!Brian

I've been away from this forum for a while, but here are my comments about Wired ED glasses:I was about to go back to 2D for good, after 3 weeks of continual nvidia driver problems (intermittent blue screens/FS freezes/fatal errors..etc). The edimensional tech support hasn't helped much. I think that my 32 MB TNT2 Ultra from Diamond has compatability issues with the nvidia drivers. My problem is that after about ten to thirty minutes of use my FS locks-up. I have found that when using squawkbox online, and continually switching between full-screen and window mode (which the glasses don't like), if I hit the 'alt' key and then the 3D hotkey, the glasses will come on again.Why didn't I go back to 2D? Well after 3 weeks of leaving the glasses on the default 30% stereo seperation (recommended for beginners),and finally deciding that they were too much trouble, I happened to set them to 100% stereo separation - "eye popping" is the best description.I am hooked on these glasses now. Once you have seen 3D FS2002 there is no going back (at least not for me). It's like one of those Sci-fi movie- your monitor is only a couple of inches thick, yet you can see for miles with these glasses on. The stereo seperation level controls this depth perception. The greater the setting - the more broad/spacious your virtual world becomes.GOODNo frame rate lossNo deterioration in resolution or scenery quality(1024x768 is my preferance)BADnvidia driver issues (lightning flashes every time I touch a cockpit switch)FS freezes sometimes (not always)Ghosting effect (ie slight double image)RegardsHK

I just purchased these glasses and I cannot get them adjusted. In particular if I set the stereo setting anywhere above 0% then I get double images. For example, in the spot plane view there are two images one showing the plane ahead of the other. I can't seem to get the issue resolved with their support. I have a GeForce2 Ultra card, and I think the latest drivers. Could you advise me of your settings in the stereo properties? I am about ready to send them back!Thanks for any advice or assistance.Robert Fisher

Is anyone using the eDimensional 3-D glasses successfully with FS2002?

They can be a slight pain to set up (required driver re-installation and FS2002 reinstallation) but once I got all that done, they are awesome. It changes the FS2002 experience drastically. If you have a decent video card (GeForce or better / or ATI Radeon 7200/7500), I think your experience would be worth it. I have the wired version and wish I had gone wireless, but that is the only drawback.

Howdy Brian and all,Yes I have the E-Dimensional glasses in the wireless version, which I like very much. Perhaps addicted to 3D would not be stretching it much. :)For those that have a GeForce 2 card try using the Wicked 3D ver 5.02 Beta drivers instead of the nVidia Stero Drivers. I know when I first started using the glasses, (Sept,14 2002 to be exact), I tried using the nVidia Stero Drivers. Hey this WAS an nVidia card right? Finally in desperation and a nudge from the E-D tech, I tried the Wicked 3d version 5.02 Beta. That did the trick, everything works perfect and I use the glasses with 100% seperation without a problem. Sterograp;hic 3D is simply amazing, the sense of altitude is greatly enhanced and using a plane such as the Canuck 80, (Bill Lyons, thankyou), the Commander115TC,or the Cheyenne 400 (FSD thank you very much), or the Archer II, (Thanks DreamFleet), the feeling of reality is simply amazing. The only thing missing is the tactile input from the plane itself.Downside: There are always, it seems, a negative lurking somewhere in the background. For the E-D glasses, it makes your screen about two shades darker. One may bump the gamma of your display up a bit and it helps. The glasses only work well with the virtual cockpits. The framerate hit on the 2D panels render them unusable, on my machine anyway. The virtual cockpits take a bit of a frame rate hit, but not terrible, about 10% or slightly less. The virtual cockpits are harder to read the instruments and gauges. The numbers are usually indistinct and difficult to read, but if you have experience on the plane you are flying, one can tell where the needles are without being overly concerned with the actual numbers.Over all the glasses in my estimation are well worth the expense time and trouble, although I don't use them on every flight. It really is fun to use them on short flights around the patch. Once you get the right drivers, and for me they were the Wicked 3D version 5.02 Beta it is not any trouble at all to set the glasses up.I don't believe there is any difference between the wired and wireless glasses. I have the Wireless, I didn't want to have to worry about a wire around my head. :D But I believe the wired glasses will work the same and as well.http://members.aol.com/zipkit/sig.jpg

3D glasses are a real experience, although not suitable for every type of flight. As others have said, 2D cockpits can give problems - and there are very few 3D virtual cockpits which really do justice to the glasses' potential. However, there'll be more. They're definitely worth buying in my own view.Wireless or wired? Why, wired, of course. Why on earth pay more for wireless? Where do you intend to go? Do you dance whilst flightsimming? Of course not, you're sitting in a chair, right? The wired glasses plug in neatly between the monitor lead and its socket, so you use no valuable USB space. Wired are fine.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv2.jpg

I'll start out by saying that I too am addicted to the 3D glasses (wireless) and could never go back to 2d. Due to a poorly performing Athlon 1.4 and GF2 MX400 I have to use 800x600 resolution to keep frame rates above 10, but the image in 3d is crystal clear, unlike standard 2D 800x600. I have a monster system on the way from Falcon NW, and am looking forward to trying glasses with higher resolution, AA, etc. It is imperative to tweak at least 4 settings to obtain minimal ghosting and best 3D interior/exterior image. These are Stereo Separation, Convergance, Gamma, and BackPlane. I sometimes adjust separation and gamma a nudge up or down in flight with the hot keys. (very simple and quick). My only complaint is one I have not yet seen voiced. -The the 3V lithium batteries (2) required to operate the glasses. My glasses need new batteries after 4-6 hours of use, and these batteries range in price from $1.50 to $3.00 US each. This adds up quickly with the amount of simming I do.Take care,John M.

Might sound like a dumb question, but do the wired glasses also require the batteries, or are they powered by the PC?Cheers.:)

Guest Toni Rauch

As far as I can make out, the wired version do not require batteries, but the slight downside is that you are 'tethered' to your computer (albeit with quite a long wire).I use the wireless version - they're very comfortable to wear, the batteries seem to last for ages, and the effect is stunning. - Highly recommended.

No, no batteries required. Another sensible reason to use the wired version. As one who is tethered by his headset anyway (and very happily tethered I am too) it's really no problem at all.I warn you, though. The glasses are no fashion statement. So it's probably better if you don't go wandering off about the house anyway.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv2.jpg

1. Be sure you have the latest drivers from NVidia.2. The wireless glasses DO have batteries.3. I do not get 3D with the Wilco PIC panel -- except when looking outside.4. My PC is high end Pentium 4 WinXp machine with 512 MB RAM and VisionTek 128MB GeF4 video card, so perfomance is fine. Screen is a bit dimmer with glasses, but it's not bad.5. Does not work with LCD screensI enjoy the glasses most when flying general aviation planes and generally don't use them when flying sophisticated heavy iron (DreamFleet 737, Wilco PIC, Phoenix Systems, etc.)when I use a second extended desktop monitor (an LCD flat panel) to manage all the secondary panel displays.Rob Gordon

I prefer using the red/blue, as these are lighter than any other glasses, are comfatble to wear, and costs hardly anything to obtain 3D, and no flickering problems.