Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pabra

Can We Revisit The Virtual Cockpit?

Guest 727Fan

After reading so much criticism of the quality of the default vc s, I've wondered if any 3rd party developer has provided the critics with one acceptable?I've lost track of the vc ac available by 3rd party developers. Other than the Yanick Falcon 50, does anybody offer aircraft for 2K2 with a vc with at least default clarity? I have no problem with the default clarity. And the vc really enhances the flight experience. It's a really nice option to have, especially if one does a lot of VFR flying, as I do. But hand flying the 737 up to cruise and sitting back to enjoy the scenery in the vc is also a great time!Don't you think?Rick

Nuff said.It's the only way to enjoy the scenery. When was the last time you were able to sit on the tail of your airplane (spot view) and watch the world go by. Sure its fun to watch your AC now and then, but for realizim, VC is the only way to go when VFR.http://members.shaw.ca/dan_cyxc/canhalf.gif March 17,2002 Sgt. Marc D. L

As for me, I will not download anything without a VC anymore. I am not an IFR fan and simply love to fly the pattern, or take VFR jaunts along the NW coast, and daytrips to mountain airstrips. I appreciate the work involved in creating a good virtual cockpit and am sometimes disappointed when I DL a great plane with a non-functioning VC. My favorites are the Bill Lyons' planes. Fantastic FM's and great, "used" and worn, but functioning VC's. I also have the FSD Commander, Piper Super Cub, the Falcon 50 and the new Piper Commanche, all great planes with fantastic VC's, but I find I fly the Canuck 80, and Cessna Bobcat the most. I like the '30's and up to the '50's planes. Guess it's a flash back to my childhood (well, not the 30's).I will say that for the first time since Flight Simulator 1, I am pleased with the planes, the scenery, and my new computer's ability to provide a very smooth and rewarding flightsim experience - the VC is the real key to making it a great experience.I'd love to see Bill Lyons create a Beech Staggerwing with full functioning VC - that would be Primo!

Guest Pabra

Dreamfleet has an airbus with vc coming up, also phoenix, and the a340 vc from project airbus seems like the real thing. Think it's a matter of time before vc's are standard but it will really soar when the mouse can be used, thus the end of 2d. Anyone can make a decent looking 2d panel, a vc is a wee bit harder to accomplish so this leaves us only the gurus to supply us with goodies. I used to fiddle with panels but have no clue where to begin with a vc. There will be software to enable vc construction in time. This is just the beginning.

FSD Commander 115 has the best, IMHO, Virtual cockpit thus far. The gauges are clear, readable, even the GPS overlay map is viewable along with the radio freq's.MSFT can take a lesson of how it should have been done from the folks at FSD. IMHORegards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

oh man, sometimes i think im the only one, the VC is only the way to go, i only use the 2d when i cant do what i want in the vc.i fly 98%VFR - it really gives such a visceral feel to desktop flight simming!and yes, i only d/l a/c that have a vc as well, uh.... i simulate an air charter/taxi company using small GA a/c i'm thinking about opening up as a va (not sure yet, ) but it will be very restrictive and im planning on using the new program from Lago, FSMaintenanceciao!Brian S

Ciao!

... best I have seen as well. And great to fly ....

Guest 727Fan

You know, I think the VC is beginning to make an impression on veteran sim flyers. FS2K2 is the first general-commercial aviation sim I've bought! I've always been a combat sim flyer, and in that arena, being able to swivel the head 360 is a matter of survival. So my sim flying experience always has a virtual cockpit. FS2K2's VCs are just like CFS2's, Janes WW2 Fighters, USAF, F/A-18, etc. So I always use a VC over the 2-D panel except when I need to do things I can't in the VC.Overall, the option to use either when the need arises is the best aspect. And YEAH, flying VFR up the NW coast from N. California to Anchorage is a very visceral experience!Rick

Guest Timbo

All FSD aircraft have VC's that far surpass the defaults. I often like to do it during the cruise part of the flight to get some nice scenery views.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:timsfsstudio.home.attbi.com]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!]

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Probably one of the best VC's that comes to my mind is the ancient EF-2000 by DID. Completely function and did the job just about perfectly.

I also won't fly without VC. here's a shot i took last night out of Ithaca NY in FSD's Commander. tom t

While on the subject of VCs, I must admit I love using them, too. One question though; has anyone worked out how to use them in other aircraft? For example, the Convair 580 has a pretty good VC, and I would like to use it in the new YS-11. Transferring the panel folder over works for the 2D panel, but no 3D is available. I've even tried copying the textures from the 580's 'texture' folder over, to no avail. This has been the same case for other VCs I've tried in the past. Can anyone please help?

Yah, FSD has managed to surpass almost everyone with the clarity of their gagues, and the sharpness of everything else, and they do it using FSDS. Since most people have said that VC's are clearer and better when made in GMAX, one could only imagine what is possible in their future projects.Scott

One thing that blows my mind is all the FS2k2 specific models that are out that dont come with a VC. Understandably that may be due to lack of photos. The other thing that blows my mind is most 3rd party models whos exterior is model excellently have really awful looking VC. Imean, if they are so good at modeling why cant they model and interior? Too harsh? I guess. I also am surpised at people who complane about the quality of the defaults. They all look pretty good. Better than any free 3rd party model that I've seen.And why anyone would want to remove them I just dont know. No plane that I've seen offers a clear foward view anyway. Besides, since the VC is created at the same time as the exterior I dont expect that its possible to eliminate that view.Pete