Sign in to follow this  
Guest FelixFFDS

FS panel studio issues

Hello fellas...I attempted to open a panel (PMDG 737) in order to replace some bitmaps.Whenever doing so, the appliation tells me 'cannot load gauge. It didn't load properly'. Can this be solved somehow?I also tried to open it via Reshacker, but this didn't work either.I'm grateful for any advice :) Thanks in advance.Regards,

Sounds to me like the gauge is protected against such actions.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yes I think PMDG has better protected their gauges and panels now.I used to be able to edit the gauge bitmaps of the PMDG 737-600/700 with FS Panel Studio, but after I have upgraded to the 737-800/900 this is not possible any more, neither for 600/700 nor for the 800/900 - at least not with my old version of FS Panel Studio.If youn haven't allready done you could upgrade to the newest version of FSPS for free. This version supports also editing of newer generation gauges. So maybe you will be lucky trying this.Wolfgang

I have got the latest version of FSPS and have noticed with planes from FSD, that it also canot handle their files. I personally don't own any PMDG planes, but I guess it seems that the copy protection for gauges gets better and better , guess for whom ;)Anyway it is sometimes a pity, especially if you want to change your GPS or other radios.Oh well...------------------------------------Eberhard Haberkorn

Guest Epanel

Resource hacker works for me and I've recently upgraded to -800/-900. I click open, select for example pmdg_main.gau and it works fine.Kind RegardsJonathan

>Resource hacker works for me and I've recently upgraded to>-800/-900. I click open, select for example pmdg_main.gau and>it works fine.>>>Kind Regards>>JonathanYeah... way to show you respect other's work. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have the latest FSPanelStudio. I have had problems some opening xml gauges and it says "No bmp found" and it does not open the gauge. I see some have had success with Resource Hacker. I don't know where it is available. Maybe someone will post a site for it. Regards, Bob.

>Resource hacker works for me and I've recently upgraded to>-800/-900. I click open, select for example pmdg_main.gau and>it works fine.>>>Kind Regards>>JonathanHi Jonathan, where did you download your version of Res Hacker? Did you install any patches on your PMDG 737?

A humble question? Is this the right place to discuss this topic? Is this fair to the developers that pour hour after hour into their work and create planes and gauges for our enjoyment?------------------------------------Eberhard Haberkorn

>A humble question? >>Is this the right place to discuss this topic? Is this fair to>the developers that pour hour after hour into their work and>create planes and gauges for our enjoyment?>>------------------------------------>Eberhard HaberkornC'mon... it's only about changing bitmap files.A lot of people do this and they always receive alot of repsect and honor (see screenshots forum).Since I don't expect any support from the companies, I think it is ok. I force noone to comply with that.

Guest Albatross7107

I find this is usually an invisble gauge that does not need a bmp... Never the less Panel Studio expects to see an entry for one.I dug around in my xml gauges and found a "blank.bmp" and I find that those gauges load fine if I add a line for the image to the XML file and of course provide that "blank.bmp" in the same directory.BTW While I don't advocate theft, I do see a good reason at times to make edits of others work. I've seen several occasions where the panel has errors, or things don't work right at all, or I just don't like em.Example, I LOVE flying the Beechcraft D18 and it had a nice panel, BUT there were a few goofs on it. Wrong tooltip poping up, that sort of thing.So I fixed those issues, and while I was at it, I updated the panel. It was an EXCELLENT panel for "This is the plane in 1950" but I wanted to fly it as if it was circa 2008 and had some updates done over the years. So, like I probably would in real life, I ripped the instrument panel apart and rebuilt it using a combination of original gauges, a few later ones, and new radios and GPS system (I stopped short of integrating the GPS with the Autopilot, so I still have the Sperry AP and the Apollo GPS acts as my "navigator" giving me bearings and such)Was I "Disrespting" the original author? No more then I'm disrespecting chocolate when I choose vanilla at the ice cream store.

Whatever you do on your own computer and for your enjoyment is fair use.If anyone tries to 'share their edits' though, the line has been crossed... IMHO, of course.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Whatever you do on your own computer and for your enjoyment>is fair use.>>If anyone tries to 'share their edits' though, the line has>been crossed... IMHO, of course.I might have a bit harsh, and I agree with his statement. My intention was not to start a mud slinging match. Sorry, if I have offended.Regards------------------------------------Eberhard Haberkorn