Sign in to follow this  
byork

gaugesound.dll

I guess my version of the GaugeSound.dll is different than yours.Mine has a 'Details' tab with copyright and legal info.Edit: And before someone asks what it says, here you go:Comments: THIS MODULE MAY ONLY BE USED WITH AN APPROPRIATE LICENCE ISSUED BY BLUESKY SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT/ STZ KUNSTSTOFFCENTER www.bluesky-net.deCompanyName: bluesky software development/ STZ Kunststoffcenter www.bluesky-net.deFileDescription: Sound module for flightsimulation gauges created with EASYGAUGE (www.easygauge.net) / BRYAN YORKFileVersion: 3, 0, 0, 4InternalName: GaugeSound www.bluesky-net.deLegalCopyright: THIS MODULE IS LICENCED TO BRYAN YORK. © 2005 bluesky software / STZ KCLegalTrademarks: All rights reserved. This module may only be used with permission issued by bluesky software development / STZ KunststoffcenterOriginalFilename: GaugeSound.dllPrivateBuild: This module may be distributed by BRYAN YORKProductName: STZ KC GaugeSoundProductVersion: 2, 0, 0, 1SpecialBuild: All the best,Bryan

There is no need to assert ownership or copyright. If you own it you own it.

I can't find gaugesound.dll itself in the AVSIM library. The only references I can find are to addons that include in their downloads.

Guest VAPilot

>I can't find gaugesound.dll itself in the AVSIM library. The only references I can find are to addons that include in >their downloads. That is correct, they are all includes to addons, all I was pointing out was that the .dll was available in the avsim library. If you just wanted to download the .dll you could of course just download the Stratojet Excalibur Update, which only has the .dll in it, or just do a google search and any number of place offering the .dll for free. Which brings me to my earlier point are the Burr's bothered ? If they are, then surley these site's would surly be made to remove it.Like Bill I can not see how the Burr's can claim "rights" to it, when there is no copyright information in the .dll code or the propities header. I have downloaded several gaugesound.dll from various sites and not one of them has any copyright information in it, the only gaugesound I have which has copyright information is Bryan's.>Even if the Burr's have dropped off the scene, people should still respect the terms of the license.What are the terms of the licence ? The .dll I would distribute with my gauges does not have anything about a licence, or copyright, so how can I respect the terms of the licence if I do not know what the term's of the licence are. I would email the original author to check, but I get no reply. >There is no need to assert ownership or copyright. If you own it you own itYou need to assert ownership, if you do not then how do you know who owns it ? how can people follow your wishes, if you do not state them ? For example I know that the gaugesound.dll I have installed is copyrighted to Bryan's so I would respect his wishes and would not redistribute his .dll. If that .dll has nothing in it about redistribution, copyright or ownership then how do I know I can not redistribute it ? See this is a can of worms.Personally I do not undersatnd why developers who leave FS take there stuff with them ? If you had enough of it then why not release it freeware ?

I honestly don't understand why "mgh" is so concerned; it's not as though he's got a pony in this race.For that matter, neither do I. I have the right to both use and distribute GaugeSound.dll... ;)While it is true that "if you own it, you own it," proving ownership is a different kettle of fish altogether...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>>Personally I do not undersatnd why developers who leave FS>take there stuff with them ? If you had enough of it then why>not release it freeware ? >>Because that's their choice. Whether you agree or disagree, we should still respect their wishes.Personally, while some versions of the GaugeSound.dll out there may not explicitly state that it's copyrighted per se, what does your inner gut feeling tell you?That you would even have to ask suggests that perhaps you inner gut feeling is telling you that the Burr's never intended to the GaugeSound.dll to be released by anyone other than paid EasyGauge owners. Frankly, my take is that if the Burr's intended for the GaugeSound.dll to be freely available to everyone including non EG owners, it would be available as a free download off their website.Personally, that's how I read the GaugeSound.dll copyright issue. Unless you paid for it, it's not yours to distribute.At any rate, why not just bite the bullet and learn Direct Sound. It's probably a lot more 'future proof' than the GaugeSound.dll, especially with FS11 over the horizon.Ciao,Bryan

Hi BryanEven DirectSound is dying and will be dead pretty shortly. For native FS11 stuff I suspect we're all going to have to learn Xact...-Dai