Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Get the current view in FSX

>OK guys, sorry about this, I don't want to argue endlessly.>I don't know why my code does NOT work when I use the ident>100, and it WORKS when I use 20000... But the most important>is that it works, and that everyone is happy.>>Eric>I DO know... and I attempted to explain it to you.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>OK guys, sorry about this, I don't want to argue endlessly.>I don't know why my code does NOT work when I use the ident>100, and it WORKS when I use 20000... But the most important>is that it works, and that everyone is happy.>>Eric>Eric, MINIPANEL has an ident of 20000 as you've noticed, and I'll try to explain why this works as it does: First, there isn't an exact define for MINIPANEL in gauges.h panel #defines, because MINIPANEL is a special keywork only recognized by FS panel interpreter, and has not direct relationship with the standard gauges.h defines. The W key is associated with a "change view" mode that cycles between main panel (MAIN PANEL); its derivatives ..PANEL_ALT1 to ..PANEL_ALT9; MINIPANEL and main panel off (invisible); all of them related to main 2d panel view. Alternative panels 1 to 9 won't cycle if not defined in panel.cfg, but MINIPANEL will always cycle. You can define your own MINIPANEL window and add as many gauges as you wish, even leave it with no gauges. If you don't define any, a default configuration is taken from minipanel.cfg located in Gauges folder, and depends on aircraft/engine type. Specific gauges are loaded from Minipanel.cab located in the same folder.MINIPANEL has the particularity that is not displayed as a selectable option of Instrument Panels in View menu.If you use an ID of 100 (IDENT_MINI_CONTROLS_PANEL), the window will be treated as a regular popup window and NOT as a MINIPANEL reference.Hope this makes sense and helps a bit :-)Tom

>Hope this makes sense and helps a bit :-)Actually if makes no sense whatever and is completely contrary to what is in the SDK...The very first MINIPANEL definition in the FS9 ..defaultpanelpanel.cfg file is:[MiniPanel00]position=7size_mm=600,100window_size=0.9,0.20child_3d=1background_color=0,0,0ident=MINIPANELWhat is the ident?MINIPANELThe same entry from the FSX minipanel.cfg file is:[MiniPanel00]position=7size_mm=600,100window_size=0.9,0.20child_3d=1background_color=0,0,0ident=MINIPANELWhat is the ident?MINIPANELWhat is the integer equivalent for MINIPANEL as defined in the gauges.h file?#define IDENT_MINI_CONTROLS_PANEL 100What is 20000 defined to be?#define IDENT_AIRCRAFT_HUD_3D_PANEL 20000Clearly an ident=20000 entry would be the "AIRCRAFT_HUD_3D_PANEL" and not MINIPANEL...In the Panels and Gauges SDKPanel Configuration Files.htm file, every one of the ident=xxx examples given have a 1:1 correspondence with the same list of #defines in gauges.h......so the question is, why would MINIPANEL be an exception?These have not changed since first appearing in FS2k's gauges.h file... Now, that is how it is SUPPOSED to work; how it works in actual practice is another matter altogether...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Actually if makes no sense whatever and is completely contrary>to what is in the SDK...>It is not contrary at all Bill. You are departing from a wrong assumption that IDENT_MINI_CONTROLS_PANEL is the same as MINIPANEL, which is clearly not.Actually MINI_CONTROLS is a carry over from FS2K era where Minicontrol window and gauge did exist, with the only purpose to show that tiny white double scale with the word "Knots", remember that? :-)But MINIPANELS is another thing, associated with the idea of a main 2D default and fixed cycle of MAIN ON - HUD ON - MAIN OFF.I guess that't the reason for using IDENT_AIRCRAFT_HUD_3D_PANEL as a pnemonic define. This applies both for FS2004 (FS9) and FSX as well.Tom

The 'W' key has nothing to do with panels that have IDs at all. In FS2004, it's in the Views menu labeled as "Maximize View". Not MINIPANEL.What you call the MINIPANEL has nothing to do with aircraft configuration, it's not even touchable from within the panel.cfg or aircraft.cfg. If FS is returning a value of 20000, it's something hard-coded within FS and, like I've already stated, has nothing to do with PANELS at all.When it is "active"... all other gauge rendering is completely and totally disabled. Thus a "test" to see if the user is in "Maximize View" mode would be of little value... your could wouldn't be called to draw any gauges to begin with. You can not trigger this view from within the VC, either.All panels are defined within the panel.cfg file. All. This thing being called a MINIPANEL is not part of the model, not part of the panel configuration. It is an FS "feature" that is non-aircraft specific.What Bill has stated, repeatedly... is 100% correct. The window that you are calling the MINIPANEL is a whole separate window... it has NO PANEL. It uses "classic" default analog gauges that have little to do with the actual aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

(...)Ed, please...I do respect you, really, but sometimes you should avoid posting like above :-). I gave a clear explanation on the meaning and working of MINIPANEL on my previous posts. I strongly recommend you to read them carefully.Tom

>But MINIPANELS is another thing, associated with the idea of a>main 2D default and fixed cycle of MAIN ON - HUD ON - MAIN>OFF.>I guess that't the reason for using>IDENT_AIRCRAFT_HUD_3D_PANEL as a pnemonic define. This applies>both for FS2004 (FS9) and FSX as well.Now that explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the elucidation, Tom. I've made a formal request through my channels for ACES to devote more effort to the SDK for FSvNext.In particular, they need to cull the depecrated "crud" from both gauges.h and and the SDK. They also must really update the SDK to make such basic concepts more explicit.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator