Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Attn Developers: I would pay a lot of money to get to f

Figure in some smoking engine starts from a virtual cockpit too!The Connie is also one of my favorite airplanes.L.Adamson

Guest DreamFleet

INDEED! So nice of you to mention that classic.I very much enjoyed doing my Connie panel for FS98, and the Connie remains my favorite piston airliner of all time. She is joined by the 707 for jets. The Connie is one plane that Howard Hughes really got right, as it was he who was the driving force behind her development.Yup, no LNAV, VNAV, no "robo jet" she, only pilots need apply for the job of flying her. "Alpha Floor"? I think they used to spill their coffee on that in the Connie! The Connie's version of an FMC was a navigator, sitting at a table behind the pilot!I was once planning to make a very generous donation to Save-A-Connie, so I could photograph theirs inside and out. Sadly, the necessary market is not there for an ultra-realistic Connie, and one must be, as to do it right would consume thousands of hours of labor.I have a Connie manual, and even engaging the autopilot (what little there is of one) takes some real skill! ;-)You can be sure that if there were more than a small handful of folks who would want one (and sadly, there is not such), I would glady do another one, and happily take your money for doing it! ;-)Oh well.......Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>>I was once planning to make a very generous donation to >Save-A-Connie, so I could photograph theirs inside and out. >Sadly, the necessary market is not there for an >ultra-realistic Connie, and one must be, as to do it right >would consume thousands of hours of labor. >Happily............. I've at least made "small" donations for Save A Connie, including it's paint job in TWA colors. At least I've got a few walk through tours. A very nice plane!L.Adamson

I posted an article on this forum, about a month ago about a/c being built with Gmax and VC. I had a reply from someone, who is currently making (from memories) this a/c. I'm not too sure if its the exact model type, but everything looks the same. It has virtual cockpit, cabin, wing views etc..............Will

Guest Twister

Hi Lou,Let me first thank you for the wonderful Archer package. It's definitely the best aircraft I've ever installed in a simulator.About the Connie, I think you'd be surprised by the number of people willing to pay for a decent Constellation.Quite frankly, there's an abundance of commercial jets, thousands of repaints of every imaginable livery... I find those things boring to fly - no fun at all.Now, the Connie is a totally different thing. It's sexy and exotic, the sheer sound of its engines puts a smile on my face.I realize how difficult it is to invest countless hours on a project of that span. Obviously, such an endeavour must have a commercial justification.Maybe we should have a poll on Avsim about it. I'm quite certain that the Connie still has a lot of fans out there !(P.S. don't forget to attach a few good pictures of her to that post).All the best and thank you again.Twister

Thank you all for the nice replies in response to my post. Lou - I love the 737 - it is still getting the most time in my log book, even though I've had it for several months now. I do hope that someone is willing to take on the challenge of the Connie, or a similar long-range prop-liner. (Dare I hope for the pressurized, two deck Boeing Stratliner - I get weak in the knees at the prospect - isn't there a good b-29 model to start with?)Were I not in the middle of a new job, I might take it on myself (perhaps for FS 2004. I know nothing about programming, designing etc, but there are lots of really talented people out there and I know a little about project management. This is an era not well represented in the FS world, with the exception of the Classic Airliners page. We have the terrific MATS DC3 package - but nothing of that quality for the Douglas DC-4 series, the Constellation models, or the short-lived four engine turbo props (the Electra and the Viscount being the two that come to mind). I think there are a lot of folks who grew up in that era and took their first flights on these airplanes. I know my father flew home from graduate school in United DC-6s back in the early 50's. So, some folks might very well be willing to pony up to re-live a moment or two from their youth.

Guest DreamFleet

Ahhhhhhh.....Your comments make this so, so tempting.Now, if I could just find a way to clone myself and a couple of our programmers.Trust me, I would LOVE to do a plane that does not have an FMC, or any other automated stuff. I mean, aside from all the engine gauges for those big radials, and some other items, the Connie is really just a huge Archer with 4 very complex engines and pressurization! All right, I'm putting simply, but I am really not that far off. ;-)"Hello, Save-a-Connie......."Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Wish I would have known about the Archer project buddy. I use to pick them up in VRB years ago and ferry them. I would have loved to beta'd that thing for you!Don Moser

Guest Aidi

Hi there,Well, if your good at being patient, i can assure you that a very talented desinger is about to start work on the Constellation. I can also assure you that it will be top quality work. I cant go into more detail at the moment, but as and when things are underway, i am sure there will various posts on the subject... Regardshttp://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg

LouGreat job on the Archer! This is the first plane I ever landed for real. Love to fly it. As far as the demand for a great Connie I think you are underestimating the market. Look at how many copies of Jan Visser's R4D-DC3 are out there. I believe if you built one up to those standards you would sell a ton of them. I know I would be first in line even if the price was around $25. That is what the donationware CD of the DC-3 costs and thousands of people are flying it. It has even spawned it's own Virtual airline. For now Vintage airliners are very under represented, the DC-3/R4D is pretty much all by itself. A Connie would be the pride of my hanger as well as i'm sure hundreds if not thousands of others if you were to build it. Anyone else out there agree? Speak up!Ken Peckham"We have a perfect record in Aviation"We haven't left one up there yet!"

Guest Twister

Hi Lou,You might want to check out the following site: http://home-4.tiscali.nl/~t696805/conniesplace.htmIt's packed with excellent "Constellation" links.I have dozens of hi-res pictures of the Connie from virtually every possible angle - let me know if you're interested.CheersTwister

Guest Twister

Sounds good...here's a little teaser in the meantimeTwister