Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Electrical System Help Please

How can I determine if a plane has a DC generator or an AC alternator? Is there only one variable for either one (GENERATOR_ALTERNATOR_1_BUS_AMPS) for the #1 engine? I am trying to make an AC ammeter as shown below. When I install this gauge in my Alpha B-24 I get no reading at all. The ALT #1 switch is on. Please help me as I am lost. Here is my gauge: (A:GENERATOR ALTERNATOR 1 BUS AMPS, amps) AC AmpsI tried the same code modified to a DC gauge and it did not work either. Thanks and best regards,Bob.

Bob Try.... (A:Electrical genalt bus amps:1,amps)I don't think fs9 discriminates between DC and AC generators.Regards, Ted.PS.Can you have a negative current on an AC alternator ?

The value returned is dependent on the electrical bus settings in the aircraft.cfg file. Not all of the bus definitions in the aircraft.cfg file actually impart a load on the electrical system, though they should.Also, whether it's AC or DC doesn't matter one bit.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ted. Thanks. I started looking at an AC Ammeter gauge in the plane which was 0-100 Amps and a FS98 type. I tried the code above modified for 0-100 amps and it did not work. I then tried the same thing with +/- 50 amps and it did not work either. The plane was a FS9 that I converted to FSX. Is the code above for the #1 engine generator or is it the total current draw from all the generators on the bus? I did have a gauge working once before for the total current draw and when I operated items on the bus the meter read the current. If I want all four do I substitute 2,3,and 4 where the 1 is above? I'll try the above and redo the art and code for 0-50 amps. A lot of the old FS98 planes had AC busses. I read the FSX SDK and there is no mention of AC or DC other than it defines alternators and generators in the variable. I know that real old airplanes used to have 400 cycle generators. Thanks for the help. Best regards, Bob.

Hi Ed. That's what is confusing. I had a total amperage gauge working once. I was trying to make gauges for each engine generator/alternator. The total amperage one worked and indicated a current draw as I operated some of the electrical equipment. The individual generator/alternators above did not work. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Hi BobIIRC the problem with the FS electrical system is that you get 20amps per bus or nothing. As soon as you switch something on that registers with the bus, it draws 20amps - doesn't matter if it's a flaps motor or an ASI gauge.I know I've said this before to someone but I can't remember who; the best way around the whole FS electrical problem is to design your own power system from the ground up. That way you can decide precisely how much load is being drawn on any bus at any one time. The only FS variable I ever use in my electrical systems is to check whether N1 is above 70% or the relevant prop rpm is in the engine idle range; if it is, then I can switch my generators online.-Dai

Bob The token is just for the No. 1 engine { :1 }'If I want all four do I substitute 2,3,and 4 where the 1 is above?'YES. It seems that the total current is distributed over all the Generators you have activated in game. When you switch one off then the other(s) share the load.Ted.

Hi Ted. Thanks. I have all four working now. I see what you said about sharing the load. That's exactly what I had. I really do appreciate the help. Best regards, Bob.

Hi Dai. Thanks. I am learning gauges slowly. I now have all four generator ammeters working fine thanks to all the help here. I'll keep your bus info in mind. Best regards, Bob.