Sign in to follow this  
RichardS

FS2002 PUSHBACK

Hi All,This has possibly been addressed in earlier post ( but I can't find it), I cannot get aircraft to "turn" L/R when in push back mode.I hit 1 or 2 as MS say but the plane/s just keep going in a straight line?.Any advice welcome.Regards.. Stece. UK

You need to hit 1 / 2 as soon as you have started the pushback (it does not work as "steering") then if you want to change direction (or stop) then hit shift-p to stop, and start a new pushback.Hope that helps...

Also...The plane won't start the turn until it has travelled its own length. So you have to wait after you have pressed 1 or 2.Brgds, Frederick

It seems to have something to do with what you have selected on the screen. When you shift-P and start moving backwards, just keep your hands off of all the buttons until you are near the point where you want to turn, and then press 1 or 2.I find that if I am moving back, and I start playing around with the different views and ATC console, then it won't work. MS could have made this a lot friendlier, for sure.- Martin

Guest RonB49

My experience has been just like Martin's; if I don't touch any keys except the 1 or 2 key, it works fine. If I go messing around with views, etc., it won't turn. If I only hit the 1 and 2 key it turns every time and I can hit them repeatedly and they keep working to make "S" turns or to turn more that 90 degrees in one pushback operation. R-

The way to get it to work after changing views is to use your mouse and click anywhere on the screen. This also applies when you're trying to change the zoom factor after changing views; you need to click on the screen first.

Guest Scott Campbell

I find if I don't press 1 or 2 immediately after starting the push I never ever turn. The problem with this is that the turn starts way too early. Invariably I have to push straight back, calculate the plane-length distance when I want to turn, stop the push, restart the push with the 1 or 2 at that point.Needs a serious rewrite along with the autopilot.

Guest RonB49

Scott, I don't understand this. I have seen this subject beat to death since day one after the FS2002 release and it has ALWAYS worked properly for me. Would you try this please? (I am being silly here but I am serious and I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I respect your opinions and believe that you are a serious simmer too.)STEP | ACTION |1. | Start FS2002 and select the B737-400 on a large open ramp.2. | Select the Top-Down view.3. | Press Shift+p4. | Put both hands in pants pockets.5. | Let plane move backward for a reasonable distance.6. | Remove one hand from pocket.7. | Press 2 key (from top row of keyboard not num pad).8. | Replace hand in pocket.9. | After moving about one plane length, watch tail turn to right.10. | Remove one hand from pocket.11. | Press 1 key (from top row of keyboard not num pad).12. | Replace hand in pocket.13. | After moving about one plane length, watch tail turn to left.14. | Remove both hands from pockets.15. | Press Shift+p to stop the push back.I you don't get a nice S-turn, please let me know what step breaks down so that I can try to determine why it works for me and not for others. Thank you in advance. R- Oops, I guess the spacing gets messed up when I tranfer this from the edit screen to the forum screen. The above looks like a nice neat step-action table on the edit screen. Sorry. R-

When ready to pushback,go ahead & do the normal procedures. After you hit the shift + P, press the 1 or 2. The aircraft will still go straight until reaches the actual length of the aircraft. It will turn then it will straighten up..Go FLY then..Hope this helps

Guest Scott Campbell

Ron,Okay, I set an external view and did a push. When I was 4 airplane lengths, I pressed the 2, then let it turn after a length. I pressed 1 and it turned the other way. I tried numerous variations - pressing 1 or 2 after pushing one length, before one length, while turning, after turning, external view, internal view, no view (using FSNav).So, after trying this a number of times since release, it suddenly now works. Go figure. I have no idea what's changed. I';m thinking the older the program gets the more it gets "broken in". ;-)My apologies to any interested party. I stand corrected.So...can I please list a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work and others can correct me? ;-)Either that or you guys can take my stars back. ;-)

Guest Toni Rauch

Sorry to 'regurgitate' this one, but I find that pushback only seems to work when using the default aircraft supplied with the Flight Sim program.Other than 'straight-line' pushbacks, I cannot get the planes to turn at all using add-on aircraft (Dreamfleet 737 for example).Does anyone know of a work-around for this?Maybe this in one of those odd differences between the American and European release versions of FS2002...?

Guest joea

No, it was found that pressing the shift key does soemthing with non-default panels and that reassigning "shift-p" to one keystroke like A on my machine allows pushback to work with non-default aircraft like the Df 737.

Guest RonB49

After my 15-step Step/Action table, above, this is embarassing. This evening, I performed a pushback from a KLAS terminal. I let the plane (737) move straight back for a ways and then found that I could not turn. I stopped the pushback, started it again, this time pressing 2 right away, and it turned.Adding fuel to some of the posts above, it was the default 737-400 but I was trying out a recently downloaded *.air and aircraft.cfg file. The download is named real737.zip and seems to fly better than the default. I have no idea why I could not turn and don't know if the problem was caused by the new flight dynamics files. I will recreate the scenario tomorrow and see what happens. R-

Guest Toni Rauch

EUREKA - Finally, this solution really does work!!!Try this (for planes that only go 'straight back' - no turns):1. Re-assign the pushback key to something without the SHIFT (I use the TAB key)2. Press and HOLD DOWN the pushback key you assigned.3. Whilst HOLDING DOWN the pushback key, press and HOLD DOWN the '1' (or '2') key.4. Then release the pushback key.5. Finally, release the '1' (or '2') key. (Press the pushback key again to stop the push.) - Works every time, including aircraft like the Dreamfleet 737 and the PSS Airbus series.

Toni;Yours was a charm for me. I could never never get the pushback to work. I used your "tab" idea and so far it has worked every time.Thanks for a winner.RichardS