Sign in to follow this  

Mission you desperately - a naiive but hopeful question

Is it possible to extract an object from a Bgl and use it on its own? Let me explain - a few years ago Bill Honnold and Don Humphreus produced a great Santa Barbara scenery for FS98, complete with mountains (they were simply pyramids, but for their time were as exciting as mesh is now). Along with at least one scenery guru, I've since tried to contact both designers but to no avail. (Who knows? They may even read this...) Since then, Al Wheeler produced his superb CCCoast which extends to Santa Barbara, but doesn't have the Santa Barbara Mission, which was one of the really good buildings in Bill & Doug's SB98 scenery. I've tried using the bgl from SB98 which includes the Mission in FS2k2 but the other features conflict (I know, I know, but I'm so desperate I'll try anything). To get to the point - is it possible to somehow identify and extract from the full bgl just the code for the Mission and use it on its own in 2K2 scenery? I wouldn't post it or anything, I'd just love to see the Queen of Missions again in MSFS. (I've even toyed with the idea of creating and uploading all the California Missions as a scenery series, which would be a great landmark feature for Californa VFR touring, but then I wake up to reality where I have trouble tying my shoelaces.....)If you have been, thanks for reading :-)

Hi Michael,Hypothetically, this is very possible. You will need a scenery disassembler. Try BGL Analyze 2.1 by Winfried Orthmann or ScDis 2.2 by Takuya Murakami. There is also a macro extractor floating about, but I have forgotten its name, as I could never get it to work. And, this is pretty much typical. While it should be possible to do, you may find that it is complicated, sometimes difficult, and does not give good results. Unless you learn SCASM, and simply copy the relevant parts out of the file. Probably the best thing to do is just to start over and make it yourself with Easy Object Designer or NOVA. It may seem daunting at first, but is in fact quite simple once you set yourself to it.My shoelaces are always coming untied as well, but I suspect this has more to do with the shockingly low quality of laces nowadays.Best regards.Luis

One Photorealistic mission coming up!I fancy a trip anyway!!!!

I believe it's under construction.I was by there Saturday.Foreman told me the domes were due today.I've decided to immortalize Jean!

Many thanks for your very quick reply and for your informative advice Luis. After contemplating it for some time, I think in this instance discretion is the better part of valour! Your reply does show what a wealth of expertise we have in the FS community, and once I master these pieces of string, I'll take a look at the programs you mentioned. (I could always wear slip-ons, I suppose ) :-walksmile Mike

Speechless, Ihor, simply speechless.....

Just astounding, Ihor. Very beautiful. You are a great guy.I do not even fly in California, but if you decide to offer this to the general public, it will be installed on my computer immediately.By the way, if you are taking requests, could you consider the White Cliffs of Dover and Etretat?Best regards.Luis

Luis is absolutely right, Ihor, it's breathtaking - in one bound you've advanced the standard of FS buildings by a quantum leap. And to think that I'd hoped to perhaps be able to restore a representation of Santa Barbara Mission into FS2K2 - instead, you've built the real thing..... :-eek PS I've seen some v-e-r-y interesting architecture on a picture CD over the last few evenings - I suspect Southern California's going to get even busier in the future......;)

Hi LuisPerhaps we are of a like mind - when I see a beautiful creation like Ihor's, even if I don't fly in the area where it's located, I just feel happier knowing it's there if ever I do. I spend nearly all my FS time in California, but of late I'm spending a lot of time enjoying the (new) sights of Manchester, England - wonder who's to blame for that ;)

We'll be travelling all over England & Scotland last two weeks of June & Ist week of July 2002. Two Digital Cameras, a total of 296Mb of memory! Now that'll be a CD. 600+ pictures,! There are places I have to show Jean. Idyllic rural settings, Cornwall, Devon, Kent, High Wycombe! amongst others.The Santa Barbara Mission Scenery will contain a Scenery Easter Egg.

High Wycombe? :-hmmm (But if you're really around, call in for a cup of tea - or a :-beerchug - and a postage refund plus blank CD!) Intrigued by the thought of an Easter Egg - now, what might it be ?