Sign in to follow this  

Newbie seeking direction

I'd like to start makeing my own airport in noman's land (say antartica) to practice makeing the airport,position it, adjust the texture, set up the ils,and the rest...What should i use to do this?A more specifical question:FS lacks a light pattern near the Appennini mountains near Reggio Calabria that is necessary for a correct approach at the airport, how can i add it to the standard fs scenery?

Guest manny3

Hi! I'd recommend Airport 2.60. You can download it from http://www.airportforwindows.com/.If you mean PAPI or VASI lights, Using Airport 2.60 you can lay an invisible runway over the default runway and specify the lighting system. You can even add an ILS.manny

No it isn't a papi or a vasi...It is a lighten curved path to help pilots in makeing the turn.Imagine a runway with an end running straight toward a mountain...There is enough space for a plane (don't know the categories, but i know that at least MD80 does indeed land in that airport) to make the turn, but to help pilot avoid the mountain there is a lighten path that makes it easy to make this turn.A curved lighten path...Any ideas?I have tried Airport, i have tried to create my own scenery....But i have a few problems:how do i create the "base" of my scenery?If create polygons they are triangles... so to make a decent base (say rectangular) i use 2 triangles...But i think there should be lot more than merely 2 polys to make a good "ground"...Another question: how to make "parking zones"?I found takiways, runways,roads,lines,and the likes.... but not how to make a vast tarmac/asphalt area to be used as parking zone...Least problem (for now) when i lunch the export comand it gives me error... I can't see it but i cannot import/export there are always errors.Thank you for your help

Guest manny3

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the light pattern but maybe you can make a series of boxes with lights or beacons on the top and put these in line or curve along the path using Airport 2.60. If the terrain is not flat you can just set the Altitude Above Gorund Level option checked at set it to zero. The object will rest on the elevation according to the terrain height at that point.I find that lighted dots in FS2002 have limited visibility limit but you can try and see if they are acceptable.Tarmacs: The polygons in Airport 2.60 start as triangles. You can click a vertex to select it then press your keyboard Ins (Insert) key and a new vertex will be inserted in the polygon. You can do so as many times as you like. You can then drag each vertex to any position in the screen to form you taxiways, tarmacs, and other ground objects.If you have Build 146 you can also set the type of surface so your tarmac and taxiways become hard and smooth. I don't use Import much but you can not import a bgl file. A sacasm file maybe but I have not tried this option yet. If you want to see what's inside of a BGL file you can use BGLAnalyze. You can search for it in the Library or you can go to Flightsim.com and download it from there.If by Export you mean to compile a bgl file, just click the Compile button on the Main Toolbars. If there are some errors in your code Airport will make a report. If all is correct then your scenery will be compiled into a BGL file ready for use. It will be placed in the default folder that is set in the Airport Options->Directories page. So better check that the directories are set correctly.Hope I didn't make more confusion. :)manny

Thank you :DI downloaded Build 146 and now it "magically" works all right :DI have now a working runway with "ilss" and the rest....But i cannot make it to visualize other buildings :(I've set the altitude above the ground, and above the sea but in neighter case i have been able to see the objects i created :(The antennas i placed strangely display correctly, but not the taxiways and the helipads, and the hangars :(I cannot understand why, because all objects have the same altitude settings, so if antenna and others do show correctly, why other such the taxiways do not show at all?I have placed a flatten at a certain altitude (and it works) and a fake runway (invisible) at the same altitude thus to allow for some taxiing without problems...But neverthless many things i have placed on my scenery do not show B)Regarding LICR i didn't find any photo to better explain that thing.Imagine the projection of the procedural turn on the land, illuminated by strong lights.That it is.It's like a steep turn in a speedway: there are lights (almost yellow blinking) to indicate there is a steep turn.Think in that sense, but the lights are white to my knowledge and not blinking...I think that the "Communication Antenna" you find in Airport Library could do it, but with red lights...Anyway thank you for your kind help.Claudio

In the General Settings you set the altitude.All abjects (3D Macros etc.) you leave the altitude at 0 which places them at the airport altitude.I learned this after finding my first objects floating over 700 ft in the air above my airport!

I've already set all the General attributes.