Sign in to follow this  

Airport & Scenery Designer vs. Default Scenery

I just purchased ASD and am wondering if anyone out there knows if it's possible to remove default FS2002 scenery objects with the software and then replace them with new items?Thanks for your time!DougWoodstock, GA

You should use an exclude swith to remove the default scenery. Then you can just make your own new scenery and add it to the scenery library.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

ASD was written to solve the problems of a prior era. Because of that many of the features of ASD will frustrate you, or disappoint you. Some of what ASD will do will work fine in fs2002. The process of discovery of which features will suit you will include some iteration, some trial and error.In my opinion, ASD isn't the only thing that is obsolete, I think the notion that scenery design is one concept that is enabled thru the use of a single product is likely obsolete. I think scenery design is now about understanding what fs needs and then create it through a multitude of tools and techniques.Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa

>In my opinion, ASD isn't the only thing that is obsolete, I >think the notion that scenery design is one concept that is >enabled thru the use of a single product is likely obsolete. > I think scenery design is now about understanding what fs >needs and then create it through a multitude of tools and >techniques. I think it has always been that way :). Even when I made my first scenery for Fs5 it worked that way, once I found a new tool it had some features I liked and some I didn't, so I continued using both of them next to each other.When you make a scenery you'll always end up with two main tools, one for the objects and the other for the rest of the scenery. Besides that there will be a bunch of other tools to satisfy your "special needs".ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Good point Arno, its so easy to lose perspective....like how fast I'm moving will be reported differently if the observer is on the earth or on the moon.My own changing expectations play a role in my assessment, as well as the technical changes. Back in the fs5 days, I viewed scenery design as the results from a product. I hadn't ever considered learning the underlying code, or attempting to accomplish more than the "product" could do, but that was likely as much to do with my own inexperience as anything else. I suppose if your experience is lacking and you use ASD, you may be willing to accept the results. You'll still have undocumented bad things that happen, and you'll spend plenty of time working thru that, but realistically, so did I...ASD never worked 100% as advertised.What is different is when I was a beginning designer, the coolest thing I ever saw anyone do was to add some trees, and a custom building with homemade textures was unusual. The world was flat and basically green. When I realize how much I loved simming in those days, its clear that I had much different thresholds for how believeable the experience needed to be. Now, I imagine it would be harder to accept the same limitations cuz all around you see default and custom scenery with much cooler features.Bob Bernstein

Also a good point Bob :). The exepectations have increased really a lot. And that doens't make it easier for the people who want to learn scenery design.When I now look at my first sceneries they don't look that spectacular anymore, but in Fs5 they did (just some cubes with the colors of the buildings and I even used a VOD texture to represent the windows of the restaurant :)). Mainly because there were no airports in the Netherlands included at all :).And about ASD, I have only used ASD 1, I thought it would be better then ScBuild (the freeware father of ASD I used before), but now I can see that it didn't really. I think the strong point of ASD never was making airports, it was the ability to lay roads, rivers, lakes etc easy. You can load the coastline data from the internet etc.But this way of making the scenery has been a bit overtaken by the introduction of the mesh sceneries.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

Thanks for the responses! I had a sinking feeling after purchasing ASD that it wouldn't do all the things I was seeking, and now I understand that much better. Since ASD wasn't able to do what I was looking for, I discovered exclude statements (a lot simpler) and Gmax. Now, using Gmax, PaintShop Pro, and a few other utilities I'm off and running and have completed my first custom building!Your words are wise... there isn't a single tool out there thats the end all/be all in scenery design. It is a combination of different tools, each with its own strengths.Looking forward to reading and learning more about scenery design as I hang out here in the forum,Again, thanks for your contributions.DougWoodstock, GA