Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

First success with GMAX....progress at least!

David, I agree that this idea of object libraries can feel daunting at first. I got into it with the help of an awesome tutorial at www.http://mat@combatflight.de/html/scasm-tut/scasm1_eng.html. Check it out, it references a free download of a small utility by Ralf Treibel that helps with the writing of the library commands and the calling commands. If you have any understanding of computer code, you'll probably get into this, I haven't coded since fortran in the 70s, but I had a ball learning scasm.And having learned it, now I'm going to obsolete its use! LOLBut at least the idea of library objects is comfortable for me. And it does look like the most convenient approach right now.I'm upgrading previous airport designs, which got me thinking. Imagine I'm starting with macro icons all laid out where they should be in your design program de jour (I use ASD, Airport, and FSSC). Each macro illustrates its general position and location by a somewhat gross representation. A macro filename is associated with that position.The design program is ignorant of the content of that macro file, so as long as you don't disturb the filename, the placement is already done.This worked like a charm when I began to convert standard macros into library calls to library objects. I'd create the library object. Then I'd edit the existing macro file, converting it into a calling file, and leave the filename the same. Kapow...the library object replaces the macro with no positioning effort at all.Sooooooooo.....until Arno provides a good utility........if you don't have an existing layout..Well, lets assume you use Airport or FSSC, which can import a background bmp. After calibrating the bmp, so you can trust locations in the design tool will match locations in fs, you could create dummy macros...like simple untextured rectangular solids in fsds as placeholders. you could do that in a couple hours, even for a complicated project. Once you've compiled that, you have the same starting point that I have with redesign work.Now create your actual complex objects in GMAX. Convert them into library objects. Using your scasm learned from the link above, you'll know how to take your existing macro files and just convert them to call your library objects and placement is taken care of.Well, enough musing....Cheers,Bob Bernstein

Guest Mark Hazeldine

You know what we need?A definitive idiots guide to gmax that tells you everything it can do in easy language; like the FSDS manual.

I and a few others are working on that very subject I would needa list of what people think are the most important things to includein the above guide. (Oh and a everything gmax can do guide would NOTbe simple LOL) As you all are learning just covering texturing aloneis quite an undertaking and a big part of the problem lies not with gmax but with Microsoft for not documenting the new .bgl and.mdlformats(I.E. no sdk) the "sdk" such as it is is NOT a sdk but a how to use make mdl. Dan http://members.rogers.com/klasik2/danlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest GalacticCowboy

Well, since GMax is basically 3DS Max "lite", supposedly you can use any good 3DS reference and 90% or more of it will transfer to GMax.

Heh!I'm the one stuck with textures and a spiders web of white lines!Waiting for "gmax for DUMMIES"

If I'm guessing rite with what u mean by spider webs of white lines, I'll bet you have applied a material (your fs texture) to your object with a uv map modifyer. Then you've added a uv unwrap modifyer. Then you've clicked edit and viola, the spider web of white lines a zillion vertices all connected together and no joy.rite?Two simple tricks to solve this I learned last weekend.First, when you see the spider web, highlight every vertex, and then click the button at the top called "break vertices"...it looks like a battery with a line thru it. Then click on the button at the bottom (looks like a triangle) called use selected surface, or something close to that.Now go back to your model and select a surface. click 'edit' now and you'll see only the vertices for that surface. Now its just the same as texturing in fsds..except better cuz you can zoom into the editor and get precision that was much harder in fsds.B

Thanks! I understand the break vertices bit!P.S. the pic above is meant as humor, do not go running to your bookstore!!unless.we write one & publish it!