Sign in to follow this  

FS2k2 program crash between two BGL?

Good day-I am actually working with airport2.6 b148 to create a scenery.(With EOD api and citybuilder) I have done the first village A ,with one bgl and the next town B(Embrun French Alps),another bgl,distance 7 miles.When i am flying from A to B no problem,all is fine.When i am flying from B to A,just above B,the program crash,with the usual microsoft message.Only a road join the two bgl,no flatten mixed.The causes of the crash explained in microsoft error messages are various ,I am not able to have help With it.I have no problem flying with only one of the two BGL.I hope for somebody help me.(Perhaps TED or J.R.?)Thanks for advance DANIEL

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Daniel... I have had problems similar to what you describe where airports, vilages, etc a few miles apart crashed FS2002 as soon as I activated any clouds or in some cases, complex 3D objects. This is somewhat bewildering to me because I was famaliar to being able to create a "scenery set" and then add another "scenery set" within a few miles of the first with no problem as long as the lat range and lon boundaries were not severly overlapping. In other words, I could create an airport file, then another one a few miles away and then simply dump the resultant .bgl's into one basic airport file and it worked fine in all sims prior to FS2002.However, in FS2002, in some areas I had the same problem(s) you describe. The way I have resolved that problem is to simply make all nearby (within, say 20 miles of each other) objects or groups of objects (villages, runways, 3D objects, etc, etc) all into one airport "scenery set". I now can have any variations of clouds and other scenery densities turned-on and no longer have any crashes of FS2002.Consequently, It appears to me, based on these experiences, that FS2002 deals with "scenry areas" and that if your miles-apart objects all fall within that area, all will be well. If not, the sim crashes.I'd suggest just keeping your miles apart objects all under one Area and RefPoint call. You may already be doing that --- I'd be interested in finding out whether or not your are already doing this.Good Luck; J.R.

Interesting problem. I must say I have never had this kind of problem with BGL's, unless I made a coding error :). And the scenery I am working on consists of a lot of BGL files that overlap, etc.I think the most logical cause of the fault is a bug in the SCASM coding, a missing jump or something like that. You could try to test the BGL with BGLTST (see www.scasm.de for the tool). This analyzes the BGL file for basic faults like missing jumps, etc.I don't expect it to have anything to do with in which Area block or so the object is, because if you are using macros every object has his own Area block (no matter in which BGL it is or so). All these blocks are treated similiar by FS.If you need any help, just ask.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thank you J.R.I 'm gone try theses solutionsDANIEL

Thank you Arno for your answer (and for NL2000 scenery)DANIEL

Guest JR Morgan

>Interesting problem. I must say I have never had this kind >of problem with BGL's, unless I made a coding error :). And >the scenery I am working on consists of a lot of BGL files >that overlap, etc. >*** Hi Arno... Yes, I also had never seeen this problem in earlier sims.*** >I think the most logical cause of the fault is a bug in the >SCASM coding, a missing jump or something like that. You >could try to test the BGL with BGLTST (see www.scasm.de for >the tool). This analyzes the BGL file for basic faults like >missing jumps, etc.*** To eleminate the possibility that the problem was caused by inappropriate coding, I methodically eleminated each object in each of the (3) .bgl files and it made no difference --- FS2002 still crashed each time I turned on any clouds as long as I had more than one basic airport file active within a few miles of each other. Also, I have active dynamic scenery working in the area which I also eleminated which did not improve-on the problem. The FS2002 system crash was always reported to be a G3D.dll crash. This would happen with both DirectX 8.0b or 8.1. I do not deny the virtue of checking .bgl's with BGLTST (I've often been doing that for years, however, in this case, eleminating the .bgls for testing obviated the need for that exercise). Also, in fighting the "autogen battle", I have some coding here and there that MM probably wouldn't approve-of --- but it's working very good now.*** >>I don't expect it to have anything to do with in which Area >block or so the object is, because if you are using macros >every object has his own Area block (no matter in which BGL >it is or so). All these blocks are treated similiar by FS. >***I respect and appreciate your inputs, however, all I can say is that when I eleminated 2 of the 3 .apt's, the problem went away and FS2002 now happily accepts "anything I throw at it" :-), as long as I put all my objects (Apt26 and/or original and published macros) in only one .apt file that defines the Lat/Lon Ranges. This was not necessary in earlier MSFS sims.Another thought; I've read many threads dealing with the fact that the mesh and land-class designers are griping about having to deal with such large areas (blocks or groups of blocks?). I wonder if the FS2002 scenery engine has something in effect that might be related to the FS2002 crashing problems both of us have reported?***>>Arno >Member NL2000 Team >http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen >If you need any help, just ask. *** -->HELP! :-) --- Just Kidding; actually, the scenery that gave the described problem is working fine now and I hope to have it uploaded soon. I don't know about you but my scenery projects never seem to get finished......Always a work in progress, even after release :-). Please don't take any offense to this reply. I meant it when I said I really appreciate your comments. (I ALWAYS need help).***>Best Regards; J.R.

ORIGINAL MESSAGEGood day-I am actually working with airport2.6 b148 to create a scenery.I have done the first village A ,with one bgl and the next town B(Embrun French Alps),another bgl,distance 7 miles.When i am flying from A to B no problem,all is fine.When i am flying from B to A,just above B,the program crash,with the usual microsoft message.Only a road join the two bgl,no flatten mixed.The causes of the crash explained in microsoft error messages are various ,I am not able to have help With it.I have no problem flying with only one of the two BGL.I hope for somebody help me.ThanksMy investigations?Hello JR and ArnoThis is my last evening storyFirst I downloaded BGLTEST and by the way installed the 2.88 scasm version (I had 2.85)I had the bad idea to compile again my own eod api (eod vers 2.00.0070):no problem.Then i compiled again my sceneries BGL but airport did not accept any more my apis (corrupted polygons,missing textures..).I installed an older (but more sure) version of eod (2.00.0059) and all my files where fine again.The a.bgl test produced a lot of errors .The b.bgl gave 5 errors ,but differents of the A.bgl:all missing return or jump to return.So I decided to test only the b.bgl scenery ,one more time ,alone, and fs2k crashed!!!The crash depend on the flight level,and perhaps it could explained that I did not detected before the problem with only one scenery.I am sorry for that.I run airport again ,deleted 4 macros that did not appeared in the scenery,but never created a problemwhile compiling (AP67.API SCASM macro for FS2000 & Airport 2.x or VOD Author: Gerrish Gray, 21 Feb 2000, v1.0 and others API of Gerrish).It remains one error in bgltest,that seems to be in Citybuilder api and that i am not able to delete, BUT FS2K2 NO MORE CRASH!!!BGL TEST RESULTArea( 5 44:34:04.3918 06:29:49.3602 22 )000748: 001E: 0: RETURN or jump to RETURN without a subroutine000766: 83 00 3C 00 98 3A 00 00 00 00 02 00 ..80 EF 80 80 3E 00 0B 00 00 00 FF 7F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 07 00 08 00 09 00 00 00 22 00 )EndAI have read all your reply.I have a lot of things to learn.Another thought:I am working since two days with landclass.In the south of French Alps,where I live,The France file is not good,(glaciers nearly all disappeared and other bugs)Default Microsoft file is better.I have bought the main program to change it.It works correctly for general landscape,fields, forests and cities above nearly 20000 inhabitants.The problem is :it seems impossible to create villages,with a lot of houses in small areas as it exists in EUROPE.The minimum size you can change is nearly 1.2X1.4 square km.I hope having better results by knowing better Landclassprogram but i think that Airport 2.6 live is not finished.Best Regards DANIEL

>The a.bgl test produced a lot of errors . >The b.bgl gave 5 errors ,but differents of the A.bgl:all >missing return or jump to return. >So I decided to test only the b.bgl scenery ,one more time >,alone, and fs2k crashed!!! >The crash depend on the flight level,and perhaps it could >explained that I did not detected before the problem with >only one scenery.I am sorry for that.You could try to compile your scenery again with SCASM with the option to create a mpf map file (-m). If you then run BGLTST you get a much better error message and you will probably be able to solve the problem and get your BGL to work fine with all objects in it.>The problem is :it seems impossible to create villages,with >a lot of houses in small areas as it exists in EUROPE.The >minimum size you can change is nearly 1.2X1.4 square km. >I hope having better results by knowing better >Landclassprogram but i think that Airport 2.6 live is not >finished.At the moment it is not possible to make a more detailed Landclass, this has to do with the tools that came with the Fs2000 Terrain SDK. They only allow Landclass with LOD5. I am waiting for the Fs2002 terrain SDK and I hope that that one will allow more details, because that is also what we want for our Netherlands scenery.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

OK ArnoThis Landclass problem is much more difficult for me in the south alps mountains,with fantastic T.Pignot mesh.The other pb is that I must compile 300kmX300km ,and only the little area on witch I am working is good.It is impossible to keep the default scenery in the rest of the "tile"??I think also that pearhaps,forests that you made for NL2000,are better that autogen trees,too much framerate killer with very dense setting ,but not dense enought to look real.Other thought,I am a lover of EHAM,where i land coming from Lyon with Klm,before taking off whith Martinair,every Februar month ,to Puerto Plata Dominican Republic for Windsurfing.Thank you and good eveningDANIEL