Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

I almost feel violated... scenery uploading...

I was perusing the new files yesterday, and I noticed two new mesh releases - one for the Grand Canyon, and the other for Hawaii. These are shareware, so I went by the website that was listed in the docs, just because I was curious.So, I go by fsfreeware.com - ironic name for a site selling software. I'm not sure if they actually made the meshes, or if they sell them, but that's not the point. They have a freeware download section, so I took a quick look through. What did I find? Well, some scenery that I had just uploaded to AVSIM a few hours earlier.A quick search revealed that both of the sceneries I have made for FS2002 had been uploaded there. I don't really mind if someone DL's my scenery here and UL's it there... but I bet there's a lot of people who do! Still, it would be nice to ask.Oh, and AFCAD was uploaded there yesterday too, (see previous thread about AFCAD being uploaded here yesterday). So, maybe theya re just leeching from here?http://www.fsfreeware.com/2002/may/24_5.html- Martin

I know the feeling, but its common. I won 5 stars for a scenery at a site I hadn't uploaded to! I only found out cuz a friend wrote me to congratulate me!LOLBob Bernstein

Hi Martin,I just did a check on FSfreeware.com, and it would appear that this site is not based in an English-speaking country, therefore the chances for legal recourse are remote - assuming you live in an English-speaking country, of course. Even then, the differences in application of Copyright Law are enormous, not all Commonwealth jurisdictions follow English law, which, in turn, is in parts overrridden by EU law, not to mention the US, which are a law upon themselves... (I am speaking as a lawyer who has practised in more than one jurisdiction).However, rather than just taking it lying down, I sugget you contact the webmaster of FSfreeware.com, who posted the following 'guideline' for authors on his site (English grammar not being one of his strong points, though...):This is a letter from the Webmaster of Fsfreeware.com to all the Authors.Dear Authors;Our mission is to make freeware files available to more and more Flight-Simmers in order to deepen their interest for PC. Aviation and expand their knowledge about techniques in achieving the most out of it.We do appreciate your collaboration in make this possible, without your files we can not fullfill our mission.This web site is born to be designated as freeware - with free access for simmers - The mesh shop is been set up to support the site and help us financially - also this will ensure a better service delivery - at the moment fsfreeware is connected to 5 dedicated servers. Do not need to say how much this is costing every months. Hundreds of dollars.If some form of advertisement will be offered would be appreciated and the money will pay for the hosting bills. We can guarantee you that your Copyright will be respected here at fsfreeware.com and your files wont be altered whatsoever -We want to be honest here at fsfreeware.com so please help us distribute your files to the flight simulation community at no Cost. We can only express appreciation for your good will.Howewer if some of you do feel unhappy about it, please contact us and provvide your e-mail address in order to make sure is not sabotage!! and we contact you, if you chooce to remove your work we'll promplty do so. Fsfreeware and all Simmers which visit the site daily - are very grateful to all those Auhtors that Kindly offer their Hard work to be hosted at this site - Fsfreeware will not Uploads Files wich Clearly State 'Redistribution is not Allowed' If happen is a Mistake. If an Author Ask for File Removal simply Because they do not like Collaborate with Fsfreeware - Will be Banned from Display their Work Again on our Servers due to waste of our time. All Files uploaded at Fsfreeware Remains Proprerty of the Authors who designed the software.Thank you very much for your attentionRaimondo Taburet - webmaster of fsfreeware.com So, I would suggest you ask for your file to be removed from the website. Before you do, make sure you've got your PC protection armada up and running (AdAware, AdSubstract etc...) and provide a temporary e-mail address - i.e. one that can be verified, but instantly revoked. If they do not comply, please feel free to contact me for advice on further legal action.Cheers,Gosta.

Martin,Like Bob, I had a similar experience (with probably the same site), although I clearly mentionned in the readme to not upload to any other site than Avsim. What I did not like with that site (fsplanet com) was that it had many pop-up's, placing cookies on your system and downloading a file was very tiring. Although disappointed, I did not take any action.Well, in my opinion fsfreeware.com is not a lousy site. I find it easier to download a file from there than the US sites. the administrator raimondo taburet has made significant contribution to fs freeware with lots of mesh files which I am still using. Although I share your feelings with this matter, I also believe that he will respond positively if you write to him.best regards,Biberwww.LTBA.net

I found it amusing and sort of an honor to have other sites want to post my work. Isn't that the point...to distribute the scenery or whatever to people who might want to enjoy it?Bob

>I found it amusing and sort of an honor to have other sites >want to post my work. >>Isn't that the point...to distribute the scenery or whatever >to people who might want to enjoy it? >>Bob You're right, that is the point - to distribute scenery. I said in my original post that I didn't really mind. It's just that they might want to ask, or at least inform people that they are doing this. It's really just a manner of being polite.But besides that, there are other designers, who I think are quite adamant about having control over where their scenery is uploaded to. And that's why, if I were uploading other peoples software, then I woudl at least tell them to let them know what I was doing, that's all.- Martin

Guest Leesw

It also presents a problem with version control. If you don't know which sites have uploaded you product, you don't know where to send updates to.After I produced the first update for TrafficTools I was still getting email from people who were downloading the old version. It turns out they were downloading it from www.AllNodesAreBusy.com. I never uploaded it to that site, and they never asked to post it. Yet it is there. I just found out AFCAD is there too. No upload. No permission.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Yeap... That's once big problem that could waste a lot of time of the author to replies for past versions.I too found my scenery uploaded to that www.allnodesarebusy.com site although I never uploaded it there and furhtermore it was clearly stated in the documentation of the package NOT be to uploaded in that site and many other similar for obvious reasons. But it ended up there.So, after contacting the webmaster the file was removed within hours.I don't expect the webmasters to check each and every upload that anyone does, but they could send an automated email to the author and advise him/her of the action. Maybe, like me, they are completely unaware of this upload!George DorkofikisAthens, Hellas

Guest JonP01

When FS2000 was around, I did a third party 777 cockpit. Around two weeks later, I got an email from some French website asking permission to use my file. I did not grant them permission, although they asked several times. The reason I didn't grant permission is that from what I could gather, users would have had to pay some sort of fee for it, and I couldn't be sure that fee was just to cover costs and nothing else.The next thing I know the files ended up on some CD / website that users had to pay a fee for (again, just covering costs or was there a profit involved - I couldn't be sure). But the only way I found this out was one night I typed my name into the Google search engine just for fun. Up came quite a few entries, one relating to my files.