Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR Morgan

Sloping runways

There have been a couple threads about sloping runwaysbut no detail. I'm trying to put a jump ramp on a carrierand could use some help. Thanks, Tony

I don't think it can be done. I tried doing exactly what you are trying to do - build a STOVL aircraft carrier. Also, there is an airport that I am designing that has one end of the runway at a significantly lower height than the other. I'm pretty sure that all landable surfaces have to be flat. Even if you try to make a helipad, it has to be a flattened area.- Martin

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysAs I have said elsewhere, it is possible to have a form of sloping runway on mesh terrain, which is always landable, although at present it is a little tricky to apply the required texture(s) to the sloping surfaces in FS2002 unless one creates ones own mesh terrain with Terrabuilder, or are content with the default grass etc. (user-designed roads don't follow the terrain correctly as they did in FS2000).There is no way however of 'hardening' a sloping surface on a 3D object to make it landable, so you probably won't be able to create that carrier ramp.CheersGerrish

Hi, If not possible with a 3D object, is there a way to do it in GMAXas part of the model..? Othere suggestions would be welcome as it would be a shame to waste a "pretty face"..Tony

Guest JR Morgan

Hi Tony...I can see your eagerness to achieve the sloped rwy on that great looking carrier. I think you can add another (invisible and very short) rwy at the end of your flight deck which can be hardened. The effects will not look right in action but your plane will "Hop-Up" to the "new" level of the ramped-up end. If you're at catapault speed, it may not be too noticable but then-again, the "dynamic" appearance may look pretty bad. If you want to try that, I or some of us can post or email you a macro to try. Hang-in-there...J.R.

I had thought of this too. Maybe having several small hardened areas to create the illussion of a slope. They could step up in 1 meter intervals. The effect would look similar to the elevators on the default aircraft carriers. In the end, I never got around to trying it.- Martin

Guest JR Morgan

Shaka... I think you're right about being able to do this. One thing that might be remembered is that the textures do not need to be changed. The appearance of the sloped launch point does not need to be changed. Still, there would be a "jumpy" effect as the launched plane translates "Up the Slope(s)" :-)J.R.