Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Resizing / varying size of Autogen trees?

Is there a way to do this? I'd like to either make all of them smaller, or make MOST of them smaller (perhaps vary the size randomly)...They appear to be much too large.Andrew

Guest Mark Hazeldine

The files containing the bitmaps for autogen trees are in the main texture folder. There are 5 of them called: treesfa.bmp, treeshw.bmp, treessp.bmp, treessu.bmp and treeswi.bmp. To view and edit these download DXTbmp. I think you can get it from the avsim library.Alternatively, Gerrish Gray has done a replacement set (in the library). Personally I think the green looks to pale and spring-like in the summer so i use the set that came with the MS Autogen SDK. Get it from zone.msn.com/flightsimHope this helps, Mark

Very helpful! Easier than I thought.Cheers!Andrew>The files containing the bitmaps for autogen trees are in >the main texture folder. There are 5 of them called: >treesfa.bmp, treeshw.bmp, treessp.bmp, treessu.bmp and >treeswi.bmp. To view and edit these download DXTbmp. I think >you can get it from the avsim library. >Alternatively, Gerrish Gray has done a replacement set (in >the library). Personally I think the green looks to pale and >spring-like in the summer so i use the set that came with >the MS Autogen SDK. Get it from zone.msn.com/flightsim >Hope this helps, Mark

Using the autogen SDK you can enter the min/max height of trees. Maybe you just need to load up all the agn files into the Annotator and lower the values -- it might only take you a month. You could do it though.Personally I like trees big enough to taxi under when you overshoot the runway:)

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysBefore you waste time trying to alter the height of Autogen trees on the forest and woodland land clases, I must warn you that it is not possible! The Autogen Annotator supplied with the SDK can only adjust tree heights for those land classes that have .agn pattern files with their ground textures - and these are principally the urban and suburban stuff. The Autogen trees for the forest and woodland land classes are generated by built-in hardcoded routines which we cannot access or change. This was probably done for speed, so that frame rates are not slowed by the Autogen code having to look up tree heights etc. from pattern files.I do have some plans for a workaround so 'watch this space', as they say - but it may impinge on framerates.BTW, I deliberately made the tree shades in MSTrees2 a little greener than the MS version because the latter looked too drab on my machine (and many other peoples' too), but with the benefit of this feedback I'll look into doing an alternative version with the drabber MS colouring. Any other feedback on this subject would be appreciated, either via this forum or direct to me at gerrish@flightsims.co.ukCheersGerrish