Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Landclass Assistant Questions

Hello,I want to change the landclass of a 4x5 grid from forest into bare rock. I repeated the procedure outlined in the readme.doc of landclass assitant step by step - wondering what happens to the large amount of blank squares inside the LOD5 area.After I copied the resulting bgl into FS2002 the whole LOD5 area (and not only the 4x5 grid I changed with the landclass assistant) was without any texture but just plain grey terrain. I repeated the procedure, entered the city texture instead of bare rock into the 4x5 grid and got the whole LOD5 area covered by water including the mountains. Q1) What went wrong?Q2) Which popular graphic programs can display *.raw files?Thanks for your help!

First--to answer your second question--Landclass Assistant 1.1 can display the .raw file using the grid. I index the grayscale values to color, to make it easier to see the various landclass types. The grid is a 64x64 pixel view of the 256x256 .raw file--and you can scroll through the file using the grid. That is essentially what the graphics editors do, but my grid is "intelligent", and you can update it by entering a landclass value, then clicking the appropriate cell. If you don't have version 1.1, I encourage you to DL it.Second--I suspect that the landclass.raw file you made did not get processed properly. My email address is in the docs--send me an email, with your landclass.inf and landclass.raw file attached. I can better tell by seeing them what happened. If you processed an area other than Carson City, I just need to know where...I do have some other thoughts:As a precaution, always "flush" the file before a project--but never after having entered data. Flushing the file will write the "use default FS2002 texture" value throughout the file.If you installed the scenery into its own folder, you must not put a texture folder within. Doing so triggers FS2002 to look for textures--which may indeed cause the "gray" effect you sawThe "blank" squares inside the LOD 5 area are encoded with a special value that tells FS2002 to use its default textures. Don't edit ANY entries in the .inf other than the lat/lon info. The water textures covering everything sounds like an error in your landclass .inf lat/lon coordinates.So send me an email with the attached files (I only need those two).... I will take a look at it upon receipt...Regards,John, Author - Landclass Assistant

Hello John,thanks for your assistence. Indeed, there was a problem with my *.inf file. I did enter the correct coordinates into the 'Destination' section, but forgot to update the coordinates in the 'Source' section. Probably I shouldn't use a new tool after midnight but I just couldn't resist. Now everything works fine!And thank you for your great tool.Yours, Christoph aka SaintX

No problem---Scan the Avsim library for new uploads over the next day or so. My newest version, 1.2, includes a button for automatically updating the .inf file. As soon as you hit calculate and the app determines the LOD 5 boundaries, the update button will write the boundaries into the .inf file. You can then copy it into your project folder, and run landclass.bat without having to open landclass.inf up in notepad (unless you need to do a multi-source project--which is discussed in the new update's docs).Regards,John