Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Finally - I've got my windsocks!!!

Guest JonP01

That is one thing I love about using the Avsim search function. Having almost given up hope of being able to add those beautiful MS default orange windsocks to a heap of airports, I thought I would check to see if anyone had been able to do it yet. After ten minutes searching, I found a couple of threads stating that people here had done it with the Effects SDK.I have to say, I would never have even bothered myself to look in the Effects SDK, but there you go. Not only that, but I will be able to add about 400 of these things much more quickly than I could have with any scenery program no matter how good. All I need to do is put the data into Excel and convert to a csv file. How easy is that?

How about this way, here is a very simple API macro that also places a default windsock. But I must say I don't like how it looks, I have seen better other windsocks.[tt]Set ( fsvers 0800 )Area( 5 %1 %2 22 )RefPoint( 7 :E1 %4 %1 %2 v1= %10 %13 %14 )GObj( WINDSOCK 0 0 0 11 7 EF 197 197 197 EF 245 171 84 0 ):E1EndA[/tt]ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi there.If you are a gmax user, just put a vertical right triangle with the two perpendicular sides of the height and length you want the windsock to be, and color it.Use fsregen and you have it there and then in your scenery as a windsock. Put as many as you want where you want them...Cheers George

Guest JonP01

Yes, I read about the Gmax solution, but in my particular case (and I'm sure Christian would agree) it is actually quicker to place the objects with a text editor rather than a GUI based program. I estimated it would take me a few weeks to do Eastern Australia using a GUI editor, but probably a day or two using Excel and the MS Effects SDK. Even in Excel, I have just put simple formulas in a spreadsheet making the key work negligible. The other advantage of using Excel is that I can change all the parameters of every single windsock (and I'm talking about 500 odd of them) all in one hit with only a few seconds work, even after compiling a bgl. It is still amazing though. A while back, doing anything like this was impossible and we had to rely on third party products. Now, we already have at least three ways to do it.