Sign in to follow this  
arno

Autogen and Landclass

Guest Barney1

I've been trying to fathom how the Autogen Annotator tool program functions by following the tutorial with respect to the add-on Niagara Falls scenery from MS.And in that vein, I was able to alter the footprints for a new *.agn file and it also made a difference to the way that particular texture appeared in FS. That is to say, apparently I was successful. So far so good!Now for the reason for this message: so what???? How can I apply this procedure to other parts of FS using other textures? My experiment, using Apt2.6, to lay down a ground polygon and playing with the chosen texture in the Autogen Annotator failed to produce the desired result in FS. In other words, the texture displayed as per normal. [i was attempting to add trees to a default DXT1 texture]. I even tried assigning the texture form the Tutorial mentioned above to ensure that the texture itself was not at fault.Observation: do I need to apply this texture via the Landclass Assistant program in order for the scenery engine to react to the *.agn file I created instead of using Apt2.6 ? In other words, I'm beginning to guess that the polygon applied as section 9 scenery won't work...instead the texture must be applied as a landclass tile (if that's the correct description), right?Any enlightment on this will be most appreciated.Barney

Hi Barney,Yes, it only works on a mesh scenery as far as I know, not on a normal texture. So this means you can use it with an landclass BGL or with a photo laid down on a mesh, using the resample tool.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Barney1

Thanks ArnoSo it looks like I have to play with Landclass Assistant for a bit!!

Guest Claviateur

Yup too bad it does not work on any other texture type because immagine if it would, we could grow trees horizontally on the buildings textures for exemple! ;)Cheers!Michel

Guest Barney1

You can grow trees on the sides of those buildings (grin)....just use macro's!!!Actually, I'm not so sure using macro's isn't still the easier and less time-consuming method. Depending on the horsepower of the PC, the FPS hit or resource drain can't be that much more than Autogen created objects. I'm not talking about placing complete forests/woodlots.....I'm thinking in terms of a few scattered trees being employed to lend some perspective and fill in wide-open spaces.

Good question Barney. I don't think there will be a big performance difference either, as long as you keep the amount of objects resonable.But when you want to cover an entire country or so, autogen will be much faster as you only need to assign the objects once to the texture and you can then use it everywhere. But when you only want to enrich the environment of an airfield, I think placing some macro's is a good solution.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog