Sign in to follow this  
Guest nhill

Funny thing about the simming community...

or maybe its just my fantasy that there is such a thing. Whenever there is a design problem I can count on Arno, George, and Dan Martin to answer, a couple of other people (Ihor and some others) also, and that makes me feel like I'm part of a community. Wenever there's been a design problem that I can answer I post right away.together we've made amazing possibilities in design possible. I like to think I've contributed plenty...perhaps not.I've watched other people have problems with their equipment, and the "community" (if there is one) has risen to provide ideas, and much input. I know a lot more about design than I do how to make fs2002 work consistently with this computer upgrade I've done.I've posted three times in the fs2002 forum and only got ANY response when I added a note in my post that asked if I have a pox.While I appreciate the response I did get, two folks posted, one had some constructive ideas, the other simply suggested "perhaps" I had bad components, I noted a post from "Jetguy" got so much response that avsim eventually locked the thread...I think about 50 posts were on that thread. I can only assume jetguy is one of the "good" members of the "correct" clique.A couple of my friends have emailed me, noticing the same thing.I guess the Avsim people would like me to "go away".Its been fun helping others here, but this is the first time I've needed help, and it bothers me to find that a willingness to help is not two way.Well, live and learn. I love the design process, but there is no point in it without fs2002 even working. I won't be able to test anything.The heck with it and the heck with Avsim.Bob Bernstein

Hi Bob try not to take things to hart I know that sounds simple but it's true. Many times when I started to post here in the FS forumsI never got any real answers and I went through what you are going through now (I come from the FLY forums and yup they ARE more of a community I beleve). At 42 I have learned that there are a lot of morons out there and one has to ignore 'em and just get on with the job at hand. Dan

Guest RobA

Hi Bob, I wish I could have answered some of your questions, but you are way ahead of me in design knowledge. Anything I could say, you already know!!! LOL Even on this forum, most of the time when I read it, the questions I could answer already have been answered by someone else. C'mon, ask me a simple one!!!! he heBest, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for http://www.jdtllc.com' target="_blank">Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS

Hey Bob,don't let any fool spoil you day...They don't deserve it...Go ahead and tell us your problems here, I (and all others I'm sure) will be glad to help.If it is hardware problems, I think I can help. I fight the monsters on a daily basis... and not just for fs...If you don't want to bother the group send me an e-mail with a detailed description of hardware (model numbers of everything) and operating system.By the way, funny you mentioned pox... It's only some days I've recovered from the damn chicken pox that my niece thought was about time to have !!!!! :-)George

Bob,It may happen sometimes that the solution might not be obvious to posters and that is why they never posted. I do sometimes get feeling that it is a clubby thing at the FS2002 forum (albeit a short/fleeting sort of a club). I have been on these forums since 1997 (I think) and the number of persons who come and go is remarkable! Usually they are the young ones and it is a predictable pattern. First they are tentative, then they get more comfortable with the postings, start throwing all kinds of posts online, and eventually culminating in 24 hour monitoring (:-lol ). Finally 85% of them are never to be seen again or they become more decerning and slow down to relevant posts...:-smile12 . One point though, the high posting levels in these AVSIM forums do actually come from these people and it makes it interesting all round (I guess).Now this does not mean your post should not have been replied to but that people tend to hog the postings and gravitate to these newer individuals.Now personally, I think your postings add a lot of value here and it would be a shame to lose your inputs here so please reconsider.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Thanks Shez....I was angry...and frustrated. I didn't mean it.B

Thanks George, I'll post my problem in a seperate thread, others may be helped if you can help me.this thread is tainted by my own frustration.B

Hi Bob,I understand your feeling :), the only forum I read regular is this one, because there really is some sort of community here.I know that in some of the other forums answers are hard to find and if you ask a stupid question, in their eyes, you can easy be made ridiculous. I think that is not the spirit you want in such a forum, as we are all enjoying the same hobby, right?That's also way I always try to answer the unanswered posts here, if I know an answer of course :). Even if I think it is a bit of a stupid question, that has already been asked ten times before. It can be really helpfull for someone who is starting scenery design to get an answer (I now that from when I started, although I then didn't receive an answer on all my questions :)). After all we are all trying to have fun, while making our freeware sceneries.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Bob,I visit as many forums as I can and provide input when I "think" I know the answer. I don't judge poster's as friends, teammates, or cliques but as fellow flight simmers. If I can answer a question to help someone out then I do it in a positive way.

Guest nhill

Hi Bob. No, you do not have a pox. If most people are like me I only answer a post for help when I know the answer (and it hasn't been answered already in the thread). I have had pretty good help with those questions I asked. One of the days I'm going to cross over Hwy 99 and come visit you, I have it on my list.