Sign in to follow this  

Microsoft Petition

Guest christian

I just put a post in the main forum that should be very much of interest to people who don't visit the main forum very often, but post here!Cheers, Christian

Have you looked at World-Maker from X-Plane ?Wouldn't you like to move a road a tad to the left here, to the right there? Add more nodes so it curves nicer?Oh and that hill, correct it's height with two mouse clicks!!Want to change the terrain texture around that lake?All these things take seconds, I mean it, seconds.With Microsoft it's a massive endeavour, a huge undertaking, you have to use 10 or more utilities, to get things done. This one for terrain, that one for objects, this thing here for AI, blah blah blah.It's never ending!!I just wish I could move the Hollywood Freeway a couple of hundred feet to the west or adjust interstate 5 north of the BurbankAirport an move it south just a tad so it doesn't climb over hills instead sits at the bottom!!So Christian, I agree with you! it's frustrating, however I don't think Microsoft is obligated to provide any of it's secrets to anyone.I'm grateful that SDK's are being produced and wish that the scenery SDK would arrive but you know what. I can live without it.

Hi Cristian,They blocked the post there, so I'll give my answer here :).I support your initiative, although I doubt if MS will listen.I really hope that the SDK's will be here soon and that they contain more info then the MakeMDL SDK, as most of that info was already available on forums like this one.We (NL2000 Team) are waiting for this info before we can start working on some features of our next scenery. We for example want to make a new landclass file, but that must be more detailed then the LOD5 that the current tools from the Fs2000 SDK can do. I am hoping that the new Fs2002 terrain SDK can provide us some light on the possibility of that. And I can name more things like this.So, MS pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaasse bring us those last SDK's before you release the next version of FS :). And don't forget that all those addons available (aircraft, panels, scenery) for free contribute to the popularity of the sim.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Politically difficult approach, while of course you hit the nail on the head with your critcism over sdk content. The difficulty is that MS has released the sdks for this version in a VERY short time compared to fs2000. Already there are 6 or more released. In some cases (Autogen for one) they were fairly useful quite quickly. In other cases, less so. Tough to go to MS and tell them that their quite impressively improved performance still doesn't measure up, and expect them to listen with an open mind.Bob B

>The difficulty is that MS has released the sdks for this >version in a VERY short time compared to fs2000.WHAT?? For Fs2000 the scenery SDK was there in April and the terrain SDK even earlier. Now we are still waiting for those two, while the sim was released around the same time. So I think they have already taken more time.I don't mind that (if the result is a better SDK :)), but I would be nice if MS could give us some schedule or so, when to expect the next SDK's, because now we even don't know which ones will be comming.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest cwright

Christian, you certainly have my support! But I was saddened to see that thread has already been locked, although there was no uncivil content. It seems it was locked because of the content it *might* have at some future time. With that in mind, it might be an idea to keep away from discussing something so controversial as scenery design, as it clearly has lots of potential to descend into flame wars! Best regards, Chris

No, not scenery design flame wars, rather a Microsoft Should/shouldn't type of flame war. The minute I read the post I knew it was in jeopardy! We are reminded from time to time.There are other sims where these issues don't exist. Constant updates, repairs patches new features added from user input. Yet, and you're not gonna believe this, a whole new group shows up complaining about the constant updates!