Sign in to follow this  

Wired object in gMax

I would like to make "wired" objects in gMax. Is there a way to make them short of applying transparent textures with skeleton structure drawn on it? Ted

Do u mean making an object with opaque lines? Like a telephone wire from a telephone pole? I'd like to have this also. In FSDS we did it by choosing a "lines" option and "opening" a polygon drawn that way.I'll play with this tonight.Bob B

HiUse line_ on material name. It isn't straight forward, try first a box with a small height and 1 seg. With polygons I never was able to do it propelly.Jos

Answer to Bob, yes that exactly what I mean by "wired". Answer to Jose, I tried that LINE_ material name, but its wacky and it does not display in FS true. I tried multi-segmented pipes.It converts into bunch of convoluted poligons which are wired but shape is completely off. I wonder how it is done in FSDS. FSDS material names for lights work in gMax so perhaps by chance....Ted

Hi Ted,The line_ should work, I have also used it on an object. See the picture below, it's not very clear here, but on top of the cone are some lines that come together in the top point.http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/tud_lib_01.jpgArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Looks good....I'll try rebuild the stuff in gMax using line_material name. Have another problem. Can texture be made reflective and transparent at the same time. I am trying to make window cut outs in aluminum elevation of the building.Ted

Hehe :), that's a good question.You can not make a texture transparant and reflective by using only the alpha channel, as both type need the alpha channel for the amount of transparancy or reflectiveness.But I have found some sort of work around (not perfect, but it works). You must make the material with the reflective texture (so the alpha channel of the texture is used for the reflectiveness), then you must set the opacity you want. This means that the entire material will be transparant, but it's the only solution I have found.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

in FSDS there is a primitive option for "line" rendering or "solid". One makes a phone line by creating a primitive called an "open" polygon using "line" mode. Then you can transform the vertices of that polygon, and if you know were the polygon "opening" is, (at the top), you can "unwrap" the primitive into a line with x+1 number of vertices, x = the sides value of the orignial polygon. It then is colored using the rgbl( ) scasm command. Bob B