Sign in to follow this  
Guest MB327

Push to Talk "Keysend" through WideFS

Guest MB327

I have been running my RW, SB, and FSMeteo through WideFS for about 6 months over a networked Windows XP operating system with FS2002. I have never been able to get a joystick button successfully mapped over to my laptop to act as a RW push-to-talk switch. I have two joysticks installed. One is an old Wingman that is used simply to allow my Suncom Throttle to operate and my primary stick is a MS ForceFeedback 2. I have read, and followed the programming instructions in Pete Dowson's documentation but cannot seem to get it to work. One of the problems is "guessing" what joystick button to assign in WideServer. I am using button 4 on the stick which FS2002 maps to button 03. (PLEASE note that I am typing this from memory cause I am not near my computer so I may have some of this wrong.) The documentation suggests that (for wideserver.ini) I should enter something like keysend1=03 and keysend2=03,1 or keysend1=36 and keysend2=36,1 depending on which joystick I am mapping. In wideclient I have actionkeys=yes and keysend1=RWon and keysend2=RWoff.I use the "recording" function in the Force Feedback 2, properties module to map other keys on the stick to key presses. I wonder if that module might be blocking the transfer of the button press, just a thought.Anyhow, any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Mike,I do exactly what you are trying to do but with a Saitek X36 and Win98SE, not XP.The main difficulty I had was finding out which 'control' the physical button on the stick mapped to. As you say the buttons are displaced by 1 in the FS cfg file so a button shown on the stick as button4 will in fact be button3...very confusing.One easy way to discover the button mapping is to temporarily assign that button to an action in FS, say 'gear'. When you assign the button to 'gear' in FS the assignment window will show the button number, subtract 1 from that number and that is the number to give in the 'keysend=' parameter.I assume you have 'ActionKeys=Yes' in the client.ini file.Also with using 2 sticks the 'button number' may be out by 31, see Pete's documentation about multiple joysticks.Also don't make the mistake I did of assigning the p-t-t button to F12, that won't work I can assure you :-)>I use the "recording" function in the Force Feedback 2, properties module to map other keys on the stick to key presses. I wonder if that module might be blocking the transfer of the button press, just a thought.

Guest MB327

Thanks much Vulcan for the reply. I guess I will keep trying on the assignments and see what gives."I assume you have 'ActionKeys=Yes' in the client.ini file."Yes I do, in the user section it looks like this:Log=Errors+ActionKeys=Yeskeysend1=RWonkeysend2=RWoffDoes it make any difference what the push-to-talk is programed to on the client machine. I use right-control key.

Guest MB327

Well it's working now. I dont know if the changing of "3" to "03" did it or the reboot of my system but all is well now.Thanks for your help Vulcan

>Does it make any difference what the push-to-talk is programed to on the client machine