Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

Roads & Rivers FS2002

That's correct. I have been applying what Christian provided to create lakes (with no beaches). I am now working on applying the same principle to the coastline. I know about those blocky coastlines and I think this will fix that problem. I'll keep this forum and the mesh forum posted on my results.Yes, you do need to know how to use MASM to create the bgl or how to use it to break down the bgl file structures. Once I get something more concrete I will get all of my notes together and create an in-depth white paper on the gory details of the mesh bgl's. It won't be all inclusive as I still have lots to learn so it will be a continous work-in-progress. Leland Steffensen

If you wish to get rid of them (brute force method), move the rdlxxxx.bgl files and the stlxxxxx.bgl files from your scenedb to a safe place or rename them. You will notice multiple files for each type within each folder. I am working on a program that will tell you what the coordinates are associated with each file (the LOD 8 boundries encompassed by the file for the techies). Until then or unless someone else does the program first, find the folder under scenedb that MAY have your scenery area. Then change the stlxxxxx.bgl and rdlxxxxx.bgl files over to stlxxxxxx.old and rdlxxxxxx.old. Then fire up FS and see if your roads and streams are gone. It you wish to get some back, rename the *.old files of your choice back to xxxxxxx.bgl and fire up FS again. It will automatically update the scenery as needed.Disclaimer: I will not be responsible for any lost scenery files due to this suggestion. Use it at your own risk. My lawyers are now breathing again ;-)Leland Steffensen

In Manchester, the Irwell is missing! The Medlock is fine but they have the Ashton Canal looking like a river. There is no river Tame which meets the Irk and becomes the beginning of the world famous Mersey (Merseyside, the Mersey sound, The Beatles ). If you only knew how easy WorldMaker allows editing these things you would cry!

Hi all.If you need to find the lat-long of any of these FS2002 files, including RDL types, simply use BGLAnalyze, by Winfried Orthmann. It won't decompile the BGL, but it will read the BGL header, which gives the area bounds.

Guest cwright

Leland, that's great! Many thanks. Looks like I will have some studying to do. But I've done assembler programming on several processors (and even enjoyed it!) so hopefully I'll be able to crack it, even at my advanced years! Anything to be able to create coastlines.... Best regards, Chris

Maybe to make it a bit more easy for some here (including myself). I couldn't get MASM to work, but you can also use BGLC to compile the files. I have done some testing with the decal polygons Christian used in this Ryan Creek scenery and I must say it works fine. I have changed the textures and even applied my own texture to it.The only thing that frustrates me a bit are the coordinates of the points. Does someone has a sort of formula or tool to calculate them easy?ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I have an idea about this. I know that for the DEM mesh the scenery engine displays only the mesh scenery with the highest LOD.Maybe the road files also have a LOD setting and if we then could make new roads files with a higher LOD, we would get rid of those old roads :).At this moment I can't test this idea, as we can't make new roads now. But does anyone has commnent on this? :)ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest JR Morgan

Ihor... What's a "WorldMaker"?J.R.

It's part & parcel of X-Plane.It edits the scenery for you.If you have broadband you can download the demo.The only drawback with X-Plane is the lack of an Object Editor for the PC. You have to download a Mac 68000 emulator and run the Mac version to create you custom objects.

From what I can see, all of the road, stream and beach data are set at LOD 8. It's built into the data structure of the associated bgl files. I haven't been able to find any information specifing the LOD for these files so I think LOD 8 is it. To be honest, I wouldn't think setting a higher LOD would do much good. For flatten polys (also at LOD 8), the resolution is quite accurate, about a foot I think. So to get a flatten polygon with a higher definition, all that is required is more vertices defining the polygon itself. Also, there is a scale value which I believe refines the resolution to an even higher value! Good luck getting source data to match that though.The data structure of what the bgl defines for decals is pretty much identical to the layout for flatten polygons. It's the dog-gone decal vertices data of the lines themselves that has me baffled! :-fume Leland Steffensen

I see, was just a strange idea from my mind :).I hope you (or someone else) can find out how these roads work, that would be really super. I am not that good in finding things in the hex files myself.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

Guest JR Morgan

Well I'll be darned... 'Didn't know that... 'Never tried X-Plane.'Don't have broadband here. I'm still yawning with the "twisted pair" :-). I sure wish competition would ramp-up so the cost of BB would decrease. Conversion to the Mac OS just to trim a few trees and paint a few houses sounds like it'd be quite a chore :-)Thanks for the Info..J.R.PS: How about those Lakers!

That's what I'm trying to crack now. But progress is pretty slow.Leland Steffensen

Guest Claviateur

Yup I encourage more people to use X-Plane and eventually buy it. A "1 man simulator" is beating in usability a 20 years old one coded by the bigest software companies in the world. MS should provide for terrain, an editor like WorldMaker to allow terrain embeded elements to be edited. We are not asking for a program to design airports, there are allot of them already freeware and payware. What we need is an easy to use tool to edit every single detail in a terrain including landcalss manipulation, coast lines modifications, rivers, roads etc...They already coded FSEdit to modify aircraft details, why not a similar tool for terrain??? And Thanks Microsoft in advance if you are reading and concidering to keep the customers on the FS side... If Xplane coder did it, I know your team can do it as well!cheers!Michel