Sign in to follow this  

ASPEN??????

could someone give me a rough idea where Aspen is...i know its in colorado,just can't seem to see it on my map(doing a bit of a tour in the kingair)I want to pass through there on my way to Seattle.just the nearest towns will do. thanks steve

Guest Scott Campbell

Steve,Almost directly South of the DBL VOR. SWX (Snow) VOR, KEGE (Eagle County Regional), DBL (Red Table) VOR, and Aspen (KASE) are all in the same area.The KASE coords are: N39* 13.39', W106* 52.13'

cheers scott.could have used Flight planner to get to it.but wanted to see exactly where it is on a real world atlas.is it near denver...boulder city area. best wishes steve

Guest Scott Campbell

Steve,West of Denver quite a ways. If you find Glenwood Springs along I-70, go South.Fly West from Denver along I-70. You'll pass right over Eagle County Regional, turn left and fly South for about 20 miles and you're there. There's a ridge off the highway, then a valley, then if you hit a large mountain, you've gone too far and probably iced a few skiiers. ;-)Boulder City is in Nevada at the Hoover Dam. ;-) Now Boulder (period)...THAT's in Colorado. ;-)

A Fun Airport to try to fly into;takes a little skill, at least for me!Cheers DenverDave

thanks to everyone...sorry did mean boulder....not boulder city. i going to stop at KASE on my way to eventually finish up in seattle.its taken me two months to get this far.started in philidelphia upto nova scotia,down through quebec,detroit,had to stop at meigs.kansas,omaha,dodge city and now denver......few late nights but really enjoying it. best wishes steve

Guest Scott Campbell

Steve,Sounds fun. I hope the rest of your flight goes well. You can try a Pacific crossing to either Australia or Japan after Seattle and the West Coast. It's a real kick to island hop across the ocean.

If you have the approach plate for Aspen and want a real challange study it hard and try to fly it as published. It is very difficult. If you go missed it is a long trip out of the ravine and into holding then back to the Red Table VOR for another try. I played with this approach in FS2000 and 2002 and got pretty good with it but it takes a LOT of practice and some skill and then some luck to boot! Have Fun!http://members.shaw.ca/madamo/Avsim_sig_KP.jpg

Guest Scott Campbell

What's even more fun is to do it with a BAe-146, twilight (where the brilliant 2K2 developers don't light anything), in the haze and clouds. THEN do a MA! ;-)

A quick off-topic note: In my opinion the prettiest short flight U.S. scenery is Animas airport (Colorado) straight out runway 1 and down low through the canyons 100 miles to Gunnison, but then everybody has their own favorite...== WHK ==

is there a easy way to cross the pond without getting lost ....as you can probably tell..navigation is not my strongest point.also would it have to be a 747 or 777??.might turn south to south america.also where could i get the approach plate for KASE.sounds like certain death (virtual of course)to me.you wouldn't think i've been doing this since FS1 on the commodore 64(blue sky..green floor..white rectangle to land in) thanks to all steveUK

just realised my world atlas........ was made in 1960.its 42 years old.that explains why it's taken me two months instead of probably two weeks.i'll have to invest in a new one ,is there a aviation type ,with airports shown ???. thanks again steve

Here are details on the approach and departure procedures at KASE from the airport itself (click Approach & Departure on the left):http://www.aspenairport.com/index.asp?topmenu=proceduresHere are the 2 available approaches for KASE, the VOR/DME or GPS, and the Roaring Fork visual:http://home.cfl.rr.com/pastrychef2/FS2002/aspenvordme.jpghttp://home.cfl.rr.com/pastrychef2/FS2002/aspenviz.jpgHave fun,PamThis space intentionally left blank.

thanks for time and trouble putting this up.....appreciated steveuk

You're very welcome...One or two words of caution, however...look at the glideslope angle (shown in the profile section). A "normal" glideslope angle is 3