Sign in to follow this  

success with replacing fs2002 generic models

using the great add-on of George Ioannu ; fsregen_024a.The project was aimed at replacing the generic models in FS2002 with a custom one, built with gmax.The accomplishment was made using fsregen_024a. The latest fsregen version is available at http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlAs an experiment, I tried to replace the VOR's of fs2002 with a new VOR model I created with Gmax. Taking persistent and very valuable guidance from George, I was able to accomplish it.please visit my site at http://www.ltba.net/fsmodels.htm for more and the tutorial.regards,Biberwww.LTBA.netTHIS MESSAGE IS POSTED IN AVSIM GENERAL FORUM AS WELL....

Hi Biber would it be possable to add say a transitomiter to the above? I've been so busy with getting our scenery done (model wise)that I've not had the time to play with FSGen at all!. I made a DVORDME looks a little different( the vertical part is different) as it's only a dme and not a tacan but I never put it in as I wasn'table to figure it out but as you have got one in now that's great!! Dan

hi dan,send me pics and I will do it.since I am a not an aviator, I have no idea about this *:-*meter.you might guess that I modelled it based on istanbul vor biberwww.LTBA.net

Do you want the .bgl as I will make the model in Max or gmax if that's better for you. Oh the above is a unit that gives the tower the visability on the runway that's measured in ft (or meters) that's used to give what's called the RVR(runway visual range). If you look at an approach plate you will see the minimum "RVR value" or visability req'd for any given approach. When a runway is equippedwith RVR equipment(a transitomiter) that consists of a light sourceand a recever that converts the amount of light it receves from the transmitter into an value on a display that the towerapproach usesto get the visability on a given runway. If the RVR goes below minimums for that runwayairport then in the case of an ILS eitherthe airportrunway goes say to catII(or CatIII) if equiped to do so or if the runwayairport is not catIIIII certified then the runway or the whole airport closes down for safety reasons. In fact lots of things come into play for very low visability approaches additionalrunway,approach and taxiway lighting plus the AC and Aircrew have tobe certified for catIIIII approaches so in short one would not be flying a catII approach in a 172!! let alone a catIII. Anyway hope this helps you!. Dan

The ultimate question I am looking for an answer for is how static aircraft (FS models) can be converted to library objects and optimised for GMAX based sceneries. Now that buildings and gates are able to be optimised with the GMAX modeling the only thing left to optimise are the statics.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

That not that hard to answer :), you will just have to design some simple shaped aircraft in GMax that can then be used as statics.I think the only way to keep them simple is to just design them from scratch. But of couse that's a lot of work.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

hi Shez,as far as I remember, in my LTBA scenery I used gmax built low-poly static aircraft of 737, bae-146, dc-9, bell copter, bizjet , fokker 50 and warrior. I have not converted them into library objects though at that time.regards,Biberwww.LTBA.net

Yes but the conundrum is with taking the existing GMAX models and putting them in as statics. Unfortunately one would want GMAX models which are good to look at and not compromise fps which would mean excluding almost all of the presently available models. Most of these are in GMAX because the author has gone for the flexibility of GMAX which means more complexity.Maybe using the FSDS and GMAX models and passing just the visual models thru GMAX and generating a bgl file might work. Of course authors will need to be requested for this... :-cool ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez I am working on some static models done from spline objectsmaybe you could give a pointer or two on how to create the needed files once they are finished. Dan

Actually what I was thinking was this, the main problems with mdl to bgl conversion is the importation of additional (irrelevant) data from the mdl file to the bgl. Now I am not an expert but if you check the api file that is created when running an aircraft through the MDL to BGL program you can see the extremely complex set of data that results. This obviously means an fps-eating 3d object. Now if one could just import the visual model only and ignore the rest maybe it would be a way of reducing the size of the api/3d model. Again this will not work in normal circumstances as we do with the FS models per se (i.e. aircraft made with Flight Shop, Aircraft Animator, etc.), but with FSDS or GMAX created models and the FSDS import plugin for GMAX, this is definitely worth exploring. Then you just exclude all the airfile/animation/etc. data and only see the external detail. Additionally, DXT1 or r8 textures could be used to reduce the texture burden.One more thought, if GMAX animation could be imported to FS then one could theoretically make moving ground support vehicles....Shez

Shez Ansari

Hi Shez I have a bud that has had look at some of the code(I am not much of a code head yet but I am taking a full time course in 3D modelinganimation with C++C# and it includes dir 3Dopen G.L. stuff as well.Anyway it appears that a lot of the "code" in the new .bgl's is for the benifit of in this case of dirX so the pgm canjust pass the bgl right on to the rendering enginevideo card in a parsed form(I.E. broken down) that DirX can work with. So it seems that it may take some work to find what parts a "simple" .bgl modelcan use and not get strange results. Am I makeing any sence? as this is how things were explained to me. I do understand that the hardwareneeds evrything K.I.S.S.ed(kept simple) for the best results. AnywayI will continue to pick his brain on this. Danhttp://members.rogers.com/klasik2/danlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

< One more thought, if GMAX animation could be imported to FS then one could theoretically make moving ground support vehicles....>so far the gmax animation discussions were limited to propeller or gear or flap movements, I do not recall any reference or explanation on moving vehicles like trucks along a path, but I also would like to add them into airport sceneries. any feedback is welcome...regardsbiber

I tested that already. OK, it was only a moving box on the ground :) but it works. So I am thinking about using it for moving ground vehicals. The only problem is that a keyframe animation can only have a length of around a minute and that is a bit short for my big airport. Maybe I am going to use the old dynamics for my vehicals (then people can also turn them off if they don't want them).ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Yes I would like to find out more from your friend if he was looking at the coding of api objects.Shez

Shez Ansari

I just took a look at the code made by MDL2BGL and just by removing the first part (with all the VectorJump etc) I think you can already make the code faster. This part only checks where you are and then determines in which order the parts should be drawn.I now have to go back to studying my exam :), but when I have time this evening I will try if I can easily identify other not needed parts to simplify the code further.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno