Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Export problem ... can anyone help me on this?

I have been using gMax for quite some time now and successfully exported several models using MakeMDL and using the FSregen+middleman combination. I have published a complicated gMax-made bridge. Now, after a harddisk problem i had to reinstall everything (including Win XP, MSFS and gMax). After the reinstallation gMax just doesn't export anymore. It does not export my previous models, not even a simple box. The error message is the ususal about makemdl not being on the path, but that is not the case. It is there and I have tried several locations on the path for it. None works. I have tried all makemdl versions from the original to the sdk one. I have tried the FSregen+middleman combination. No luck. Currently I have Makemdl in the gmaxplugins folder and that folder is added to the path.When I export the program makes a logfile. This is the text i get: Running model Start! (D:FlightsimgmaxScenesTest2) Loading X D:FlightsimgmaxScenesTest2... Error in exporter: Mismatch between # vertex faces (0) and # normal faces (1) in part Box01. Error! Error!It always reports a mismatch between faces. Even on a simple box as seen in this sample! Depending on the model the numbers are varying. Sometimes the vertex count is bigger than the normal and sometimes the opposite. What on the virtual earth could cause this problem, and does anyone have suggestions how to fix it...? I'm getting nuts on this...BamceEFHN

Hi Bamce.Sorry to hear your hardware troubles.The only thing that comes to mind is your local settings for decimal point. Make sure that it is set to "." not "," that many locales use.Hope this is the end of your troubles.GreetingsGeorge

Guest cwright

I think many of the errors are spurious and have more to do with bugs in the exporter/makemdl. I always select 'no error messages' in the options. Although the error log shows lots of errors (colocated vertexes or some such nonsense) it exports without problems and the end result is fine. Of course, if there is a genuine fatal error in the design the export will fail and you can check the error log. When I first had those problems I refined the object down to a single triangle - but it still had the error! I'm quite sure it's a bug. That absurd error message about not being on the path is a typical example of how badly Microsoft have implemented the export process. In contrast Gmax is an excellent program. Best regards, Chris

THANKS George! You made my day! Oh, dear - I just didn't remember that little thing after all this hazzle with the reinstallation... Should have known... Changed from , to . and now everything works fine!BamceEFHN