Sign in to follow this  
Naji

Starting on gmax.

Hi, guys. First time in here...For objects I normally use FSDS Pro to make api macros, and for scenery design I use Airport. After I've read some of your comments here, I see that not a few have recommended to switch to gmax for object design.Well, today I installed ver 1.10, the help and tutorials, went through four or five tutorials, and all I can say is WOW!! That program is fantastic. It makes FSDS look so tiny. I'm already liking it too much and considering to switch altogether to it, but I have one major doubt about it: the inability to produce api macros. I've searched and tried but it seems you can only get bgl's. Am I wrong? If that is the case, then this is disappointing because how can we place objects made with gmax accurately in FS2002? Any hints on how to go about this?Many thanks.

Hi Naji,You can make API macros in the following way.First you will need the tool FsRegen.http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlThis tool allows you to create library BGL's from the objects you create with GMax.Then you can make a simple API macro that calls the object.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno, NajiOr... (Arno do not laugh, no I do not work for discreet :-) )Arno's way is VERY good and efficient.If accurate placement is the goal here, and you want to do more in gmax, you can create a grid with lines in gmax, let's say every 10, 50 or 100 meters, export it to the scenery you want to modify - enrich and use a snapshot of the fs screen (in ctrl-s mode) to find the rectilinear coordinates (x-y that gmax uses)...CheersGeorge

Arno and George, thanks a lot guys for the hints and links. Appreciate your replies. All the best.