Sign in to follow this  
arno

FS2002 object Library

Guest Claviateur

Hello,Can anyone please explain to me how to make and use a library of objects in FS2002? How to make the library and with what program can we place the object in an easy way?CheersMichel

If you want to make a library with GMax object you can best use FsRegen to make it.http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlIf you want to make it with older SCASM macros, you have to do it by hand I am afraid :).For the placing of the objects, you need to make a simple macro that calls the object. Here is an example:[tt]Area( 5 %1 %2 22 )PerspectiveCall( :L1 )ShadowCall( :L1 )Jump( : ):L1mif( %11 )RefPoint( 2 :E1 %4 %1 %2 E= %11 v1= %10 %13 %14 )melseRefPoint( 7 :E1 %4 %1 %2 v1= %10 %13 %14 )mifendRotatedCall( :R1 0 0 %5 )Return:R1CallLibObj( 0 11111979 25052002 00000000 00000006 ):E1ReturnEndA[/tt]I am working on a small tool to make it easier. The tool will make the macros for you from the library source file made by FsRegen. And it will also add an symbol, so that the macro is displayed with the correct shape in GroundMaker or Airport. But I have not yet finished this tool.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Claviateur

Hi Arno,Thanks so much for the explanations :) I have one little question though: I heard that the advantage of making a library is that the object is loaded once. Now my early experiments with macros and FS2002 revealed that macros are frame rate killers in FS2002 this is why I did all my scenery objects in Gmax. Now if I put my objects in a library will the fact that they will be called by a macro brings back the frame rate issue since they are placed through a macro or it will remain a Gmax BGL code? The issue I think is the BGl code of the macros is not FS2002 friendly however when the object is exported from Gmax throuhg MakeMDL it gets a better fps.Thanks again and looking forward for your tool!CheersMichel

Hi Michel,I have no fps problems in this way (also not with the older FSDS macros).It's not that a macro is bad for the frames. As long as you think carefull about how you use the code, you can always get good fps. The commands that are in the example macro I posted here, are equivalent to the ones GMax uses when it places the object. So there is no real difference in that. I think the advantage of the GMax object comes from the new commands used to draw the object and place the textures etc.So it is not the fact that it is a macro that causes the fps problems, but more the commands you use the draw the object and how you use them (I am sure you can also get bad fps with the GMax commands if you don't use them carefull).ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Arno,We REALLLY need your work-in-progress tool! :) Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez, have you made a calling macro successfully yet? If so, its really easy to copy and paste with a different object ID, and create an infinite number of them. Its just getting that first one to work that is the challenge. Arno's example is as good as any to copy for your first one...problem solved.I assume you've figured out how to make libraries using Geoges fsregen.Bob Bernstein

Yes I have it figured it all out with help from you guys. My only thing was the amendment to the api macro each time. If only that could be automated...Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

That not what I am making my tool for :), if it would only be for the ID I have to change I can spend my time better :).But I want the object to have the correct shape in Airport or GroundMaker so that I can place it better. Now the macro has no shape at all.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

Absolutely! the shape of the api is the main thing! ;) But the other benefit is there... ;)Shez

Shez Ansari

Arno, if you want it shouldn't be too dificult to make fsregen create the code of the api macro. If there is a way to have a sized preview in whatever program places it, that could also be worked out.But your help is essential... Scasm + APIs = void for me.Again if your tool is in an advanced state carry on and finish it. We'd love to see it alive.George

I am about half way with the tool. It can now already read the ASM library file that FsRegen makes, then it reads from there the ID's used and the files that contain the ASM code for the objects.I am now working on the reading of these ASM files. I can already read the point and the last thing I am working on is determining the shape from the triangle definitions. I think if I spend one good evening on that I should have a beta version there soon.When I am that far I will post a mesage here of course :)ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno