Sign in to follow this  

Autogen utility and satellite imagery

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get autogen scenery to show up on my photo mosaic textures. I'm using Architect 2002 and a Photo Mosaic of DXT1 textures. I've used the Autogen utility in FSSDK to define vegetation and building areas but nothing shows when I go into FS2002. Any ideas?

Guest GerrishGray

This problem keeps coming up. Unfortunately, Architect does not create genuine mesh terrain but instead imitates it with a '3D object' built of textured polygons - a technique used for building mountains and terrain in FS98 and earlier. This type of scenery does not support Autogen. To get genuine mesh terrain that supports custom Autogen as you want, you need to use the FS2000 Terrain SDK tools, or one of the third party programs that does the same, such as the excellent TerraBuilder.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, because Architect is generally an excellent and very user-friendly program.Hope this helpsGerrish

I'm not using a mesh simply the flat photo mosaic feature. Is that considered a mesh too? Is there an alternative that I could use to lay the satellite photo on my scenery (i.e. another program)? I don't have any elevations.

Guest Claviateur

Terabuilder is the program that does this in an easy way. Architect2002 method is based on polygons as mentioned above and this will not only avoid having autogen added to the textures but also will automatically exclude any autogen that falls under it. It is the texpoly issue...We hope someone will code a plugin for Architect to allow the possibility of a real phototerrain layout compiled using the resampler too. I wish I was a coder :)Cheers!Michel

>Terabuilder is the program that does this in an easy way. Sorry for this stupid question, but, what is TerraBuilder? where can I get this from? Is this support FS2002? Can I use this Terrabuilder to make landclass? Thanks for your response before.

The fs2000 sdk included enough tools to do this. Terrabuilder is a frontend designed by Misho Katulic. I have found that its easier for me to produce terrain simply thru the use of the sdk tools directly rather than with terrabuilder, because TB includes some functions and variables that are obsolete or un-needed for this work. This is because terrabuilder was designed for previous versions and has been updated to provide this fs2002 function.Either way, the process is to create an ".inf" file...either by feeding terrabuilder data or by writing the data directly yourself, and then executing resample.exe on the inf file. You also provide a .bmp for the area. The output is a ".tmf" file and texture slices from your bmp. You run the .tmf file throught the sdk tool tmf2bgl.exe and the output is your bgl file. Convert the texture slices to dxt1 or dxt1 plus alpha (for water effects).The .inf file for terrain can be found quite detailed in the terrabuilder forum.Bob Bernstein