Sign in to follow this  
Guest CapnCol

Seems to me to be a reasonable question?

However every time I post-it in the appropriate forum it gets deleted. Why I'm not sure. Certainly not Demanding, Insulting or Sarcastic. So I will try it here, hoping for some answer or feedback. If I am off base let me know why and I will go away.Here it is as posted in the PSS forum:I too have been a very faithful and a loyal customer. I am very happy with the airbus and all pss products. I do appreciate all that PSS has done for my enjoyment of this hobby.But, it is for this very reason I tried posting the following the other day but it never made it as I guess it breaks the rules :-(, so I will try again as I feel it is an important issue. :-)The extra work you are doing on the 747 and 777 update free of charge is somewhat appreciated, but certainly not what I had wished for, nor do I think it is satisfactory. Without a decent model complete with vurtual cockpit to go with these fantastic 2D panels is an extreme disappointment to say the least. I always thought the 747 and 777 were some of the most important aircraft in the industry and to flightsimming. I got my greatest thrills when flying them and I can say I don't think I am alone. I just can't amagine ever enjoying flying the 747 again, with the update as it is going forward at this time. These aircraft are too important to pass over and move on to a Dash8.Isn't all the tuffest work done once the 2D panels are updated ? I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO PAY EXTRA FOR A TRUE FS2002 UPDATE !!!. Couldn't PSS hire an extra body to do these new models with VC, if that's what's needed. I am enjoying the new airbus a great deal, but knowing my 747 and 777 are in the hanger indefinately is quite depressing. :-( :-(Don't you guys at PSS miss these aircraft too !! ?Would you really be satisfied flying these 2D panels in a FS2000 aircraft with flat and dull textures ?Sorry for the degativity, but I would not only like to know how other pss 747,777 owners feel but how and why the pss team could come to such a decision to not bring these aircraft to FS2002 standards. If you don't who else will ?Because of this decision to update the panel and not the aircraft, I would have to say there is some doubt as to whether I will be waiting in line for your next project to be released. I'm not exactly counting the days. Hard to get too excited about a Dash 8 or old Concorde just cause their new.I can only hope you will reconsider, release the 747 and 777 update as schedueled and announce the development of a new PSS 747 and 777 Pro GMAX base aircraft with vurtual cockpit and additional liveries as soon as possible. Priced accordingly of coarse.This way we all win !! :-)SteveCYYZ

Here are my 2 cents on this;You don't stay in business in the software industry by rewriting all of your software titles to take advantage of every new advancement in technology. This is just not good business. You must go forward, not backward.I too would love to see the 777 and 747 as full blown G-max/FS2K2 aircraft but this would involve a total redesign, not a patch. For now, I will be happy that they make them FS2K2 compatible....and if they should decide to "redesign" from the ground up I would be willing to buy them again.I don't know of any pay title that has gone back and rewritten for FS2K2. Every one that I know of, and I have just about all of them, have issued a compatibility patch and moved on to new models.My two cents....David

Guest Max Cowgill

>Here are my 2 cents on this; >>You don't stay in business in the software industry by >rewriting all of your software titles to take advantage of >every new advancement in technology. This is just not good >business. You must go forward, not backward. David, please explain to me how updating a plane for a new version of FS is taking a step backward. I'd really like to know... As far as the above not being good business practice goes, I completely disagree. It is EXTREMELY good business as it shows a company actually cares about its customers, and supporting products they've already released, rather than just shoving something out the door and moving on to something else to make more money. There's nothing wrong with making money, but a company can benefit a lot in the PR/image department by adding value to their older products, i.e. updating them when new technology is available. I realize this takes time and money and does necessarily translate to more sales for the company, but it sure helps breed customer loyalty and satisfaction. If that's bad business I have no idea what good business is then.Max Cowgill

Guest UweR

Hi Steve, the problem as I see is that the question how to move on was answered by a democratic user poll. Any further discussion essentially is an academic one, the decision has long been made. You are entitled to your opinion of course "These aircraft are too important to pass over..." but the majority voted otherwise.PSS isn

Guest Phoenix

And the reason that it was not posted was because it is a question asked and answered about 50 times. But to say it again1- We are patching for Fs2002 compatability2- We are considering and Fs2002 777 and 747 sometime in the future but not nowRobert KirklandPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Sorry for what seems to be such difficult questions.I will drop it, but I still can't understand why it would be such a daunting task. :-hmmmIt's getting harder to feel good about this hobby every day. :-(SteveCYYZ

David"I don't know of any pay title that has gone back and rewritten for FS2K2. Every one that I know of, and I have just about all of them, have issued a compatibility patch and moved on to new models."Err.. I know a company that has.FSD-InternationalThey stared out with a with a Commander and added not one but two major overhauls and a minor one for FS2K2 and get this"Free of Charge"In addition they are completly remaking the Porter from the ground up with GMax. But that will be a new plane and you will have to cover their cost to create it. Im sure it will be a pitance for the value.Dcharles

Heck, just wait for Project Opensky to get around to creating GMAX versions of the 777 and 747. If nothing else, their price for upgrades is VERY reasonable, proving that it can be done.Mike

I am one of PSS's biggest fans !!!I luv the 747 and 777. Never complained or found any fault in them until FS2002. Bought most the liveries and don't put their panel in others aircraft. I don't just like to buy their new packages and then complain, as many others seem to do. I like to fly them, and fly them. IMHO their 2D panels are a masterpiece and the airbus VC looks soo... good and really adds to my enjoyment of flying those long hauls in real time.To think PSS would treat their own work like it's not worthy of the new FS2002 standards is a puzzle to me. Not a day goes by I don't fly the airbus, I'm loving it !!However, I miss the 747 and 777. I guess I liked flying these aircraft more than the people who made them. I look forward to the compatibility patch but it just isn't enough.Lets put it this way for those that don't get it. :-)I liked FS2000, didn't complain about it either but now that I'm using FS2002 you won't find FS2000 or it's aircraft on my harddrive.SteveCYYZ

PSS' stance seems reasonable. Dreamfleet and Pilot in Command both updated their airplanes without VCs - and have no plans as far as I can tell to include one. It's a big job - the VC is part of the airplane model and needs to be coded from scratch. I don't think that this is unreasonable in any way shape or form.

there is another issue here .. Creating a VC for both the 777 and 744 would be a major task because as you pointed out it is part of the MDL file which would need recoding from scratch.. OK so far .. BUT being PSS we would NOT simply recode an old aircraft mdl to have a VC, we feel it MUST have Reflections, Proper Gmax animation, Lighting, see thru windows etc etc etc and I'm sure Now you can see it would KILL our schedule totally for the next 6 months.result ?LOADS of genuine happy customers turned Right off because they are waiting for the Dash 8, Concorde etc.. We HAVE said we "might" consider re creating the 77 and 74 in FS2002 PROPERLY later but it wont happen till we've finished our current schedule (incidentally voted for by our customers)

Huh ?You may be in love with VC but some here are not. The recent poll on Avsiom on this subject showed almost 3:1 preference for 2D panel over the VC. I for example don't care for usually substandard aircraft interior finish in VC. So as you can see there are different opinions on the subject.Michael J.

Hi Steve. Just to give you a light at the end of the tunnel, there is a 747-200 GMAX in the works, all new for FS2002. Hang loose, Friend, it's going to be worth the wait.Best Regards,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com:-sun1

I feel great about the hobby! Its the best it has been and we are spoiled rotten. I have been so busy flying a variety of aircraft that I have hardly had time to miss the PSS B777 and B747. As soon as the patch comes out I will be dusting off the beautiful aircraft...I truly love and enjoy flying both!If however PSS had decided to scrap the upgrade to FS2002 that would have been OK since I know they are working on new projects! Have faith...things will work out...and do not cling. Remember we are only here for a while.PSS is great...your post while a concern to you and important to you...is not a big deal for me...I am sorry you feel that way!RegardsTony