Sign in to follow this  

Learing GMAX - Lots Of Questions

1. Has Anybody experienced a problem with GMAX whereby you apply textures, and they look fine in GMAX, but they don't look right in FS2002?. They're slightly offset, and go around corners a bit.2. Does anybody know how to use textures from more than one BMP file on a model in GMAX, when I try to do this, the 2nd texture that I choose completly replaces the first one.3. Does anybody know how to make FS2002 start using the textures for a model from further away, at the moment, it only when you get quite close to my buildings that the textures are drawn? from further away the buildings are flat shaded.:-zhelpThanks - SteveG

I have just posted cry for help for the same type of problem under heading 'help with gmax' My problem is that the textures all show in gmax but when imported into FS some textures do not show. Same texture show on one face/poligon but not on the other. Really strange? Could someone help please? I am just about finishing the scenery.Letats

Hi, Steve. I'm only two weeks into self-learning gmax, so I'm still far from knowing my way efficiently around but I can answer as follows:1.Haven't experienced this so far. I set the textures accurately using Unwrap UVW modifier on the editable poly (or mesh), and so far in my scenery tests, whatever I put there is the same after I export into FS2002.2.The way I know to do this is to use a separate Edit Mesh modifier for each polygon (or set of polys) that will take a different texture: on your object, apply an Edit Mesh modifier, choose the poly, assign the texture in Material Editor; then add another Edit Mesh modifier, choose another poly (or set) and do the same, and so on. 3.Have you checked the option in the makemdl.exe under scenery? Hope this helps.

In my experience too, as long as the UVW map is properly applied on the object at editable mesh state , what you see in gmax viewports is what you get at fs2002.In addition to what Naji has said, you can also apply multi material texture on one object.There is a nice tutorial on this in gmax tutorials , "adding materials and mapping/using the material navigator". You can reach gmax tutorials selecting help/tutorials from the gmax menu bar.The best way though is to get familiar with UVW mapping modifier. Using the gizmo tool within UVW mapping modifier, you can very easily adjust and manipulate the mapping over the polygons of an object. Also, you can have a couple of textures embedded / crammed on one texture and apply it on an object, which will help a lot with frame rates cause fs2002 will deal with one texture instead of a couple.Biber Biber's gmax tutorial for beginners

Hi Biber been busy for a while(doing some stuff in Maya) anyway Ive lost your email adress could you just email me when you get a chanceThanx Dan

1. I could not take a look at your picture as the link doesn't work, so I am not sure what kind of texture problem you have. But for me the objects appear in FS just the same as they did in GMax.2. I had the same problem in the beginning, very frustrating and took me some hours to find :). You must just select the polygons you want to have the other texture and then you can drag-and-drop the material you want on it from the material navigator.3. The solution is somewhere on this forum, but I don't know the link now. It only happens with small buildings and I thought the trick was to add an polygon on the ground that is not visible, but much larger.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for the help everybody, I'am sorted out on everything apart from the misplaced texture problem now.The attachment did'nt work originally, it should be ok now. The picture shows the texture problem I've been having, it looks ok in GMAX but not in FS2002.:)Steve Gordonwww.northeastscenery.com

Looks strange indeed, like the texture is shifted a bit. In GMax it does look correct? And you have used the same texture for GMax and in FS?ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

The same texture is used by both GMAX and FS2002. The only difference is that the copy of the texture used by FS2002 has been converted to .DXT1 format, and has had mip-maps added using image too. The texture used by G-MAX is a straight .BMP file.They both look identical though.Steve Gordonwww.northeastscenery.com

And you did not get any error or warning during the compilation? I wouldn't know any other reason for your problem.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

AH-HABreakthrough - I ThinkI am converting an my existing scenery to use GMAX and .DXT1 bitmaps.In the FS2002 directory I have .DXT1 bitmaps all with mip-maps, in the GMAX directory I have .BMP textures, some with mip-maps and some without.The Problem only occurs for buildings which in the GMAX directory have textures which include mipmaps.When I deleted the mip-map from the texture for a building in the GMAX directory, then the textures for the building were wrongly displayed on the 3d perspective GMAX view of the building, in exactly the same way that FS2002 was wrongly displaying them.I've not managed to get FS2002 to display the building properly yet, but I think I'am on the right track, just needs a little more investigation.Steve Gordonwww.northeastscenery.com

I think I found the solution to one of my problems, The miss-aligned texture problem, and i'am posting this in case anybody else ever has the same problem.The problem was caused by the .BMP file that I was supplying to GMAX containing mip-maps, when I removed the mip-maps by loading the .BMP files into my paint program and then re-saving it, the bitmap was properly imported into GMAX, and the textures in GMAX, then looked wrong in the same way as they had in flight simulator.A bit of texture re-alignment in GMAX, and a re-export of the model later, and everything was fixed.NB - At first I tried getting rid of the mip-maps by using the extract mip-maps option in ImageTool, and then renaming the _0 mip-map. This did not work. Only by re-loading the image into a paint program and saving it was the problem solved.Steve Gordonwww.northeastscenery.com