Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

TMF tools

Guest cwright

Hi, Rhumba, I checked again. The asm generated by fsregen works fine with the old bglc but generates lots of errors with the new one. I think George mentioned there might be problems with the new one. Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately at the moment I know very little about MASM/SCASM etc. Fsregen is useful because it provides an easier interface for non-experts like me. As I've said before, my big concern is coastlines - at present my coastlines are big, ugly texture squares. These realistic lakes with beaches are a step toward real coastlines. I'm confident you and the others will finally crack it. Thanks for your efforts. Hopefully when it is cracked it will be possible to make relatively easy front-ends for the rest of us. If not then I guess I'll have to learn all this stuff! Of course Microsoft might release a scenery SDK that reveals all. But on the other hand they might not. Why they keep some of these things secret for so long (the first coastlines/beaches appeared in CFS2, almost three years ago) is absolutely baffling. The sad thing is that it would require such little effort to share this essential knowledge with the flight sim community. I can understand why Christian finally gave up..... Best regards, Chris

OK, I have also started looking a bit in those files. I had never looked at a BGL in hex code before, so I started looking at one of Christian's BGL's and comparing that with the ASM code.Then I started looking on those island BGL's. I found that the shore BGL has the same structure as a decal BGL from Christian and the island itself has the flatten structure.I also extracted the points of the island and plotted them in Excel, here is a picture of that:http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/osh_excel.jpgAs you can see the shape is quite clear. It is split up in two polygons, I assume that is because of the LOD border. The strange thing is that I have the idea that the pink polygon is not showing. In FS you can also see a piece of water inside the shore.http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/osh_fs.jpgI have tried moving the main part of the island (the blue part in Excel) by changing it's row. Then that part it gone, but I don't see the little part left. Very strange, but maybe I have missed something (I am not that familiar with the BGL code yet).Another thing I could not understand is what is the number of points in Christians FLATTEN_DATA command. In the MS BGL's I find a number that is much greater then the number of points. Anyone any thoughts on this?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

PS. I forgot one piece of info in my previous post that might be interesting. This are the row, subrow, coll, etc values I have found for the two polygons (given here as they would be used in Christians command):blue polygon:FLATTEN_DATA 1, 2, 1, 4, 1, 1, 1pinkpolygon:FLATTEN_DATA 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 1, 1Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Chris.The errors you are experiencing are because the line:include TMFmacros.incis not at the start of the code. I have no idea why it should compile with the old BGLC if this line is not present.I don't know how George has fsregen set up, but I'll assume it calls BGLC from some kind of command line.

Hi friends.Sorry for disappearing, it was forecasted.The bglc has in it some executable code, and as resource files (for the programers) the MS assembler and the MS include files. I had noticed that if the required include files are present externally they take precedence over the internal ones.This way you can compile anything you want as long as you got the files. I have modified the BGLDEF.INC file to include my macro's file (grginc.inc) In ht later I include Christian's TMFmacros.inc.That's why I distribute the grginc with every update of fsregen.The full setup only needs to place the modified BGLDEF.INC once.Rhumba, carry on with the Oshgosh thing, I think you are getting close. I wish I could join you.All the bestGeorge

Guest cwright

>Hi Chris. >>The errors you are experiencing are because the line: >>include TMFmacros.inc >>is not at the start of the code.... Rhumba, you're absolutely right! I added that line and now the new bglc works fine. Many thanks. I noticed that with the new bgl, dragging and dropping created a file with the correct .bgl name, while the old one created a .bin name that had to be converted to .bgl. Best regards, Chris