Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

Newbie question: adding cities in FS2002

Hello,I just have downloaded Thierry Pignot's fantastic mesh for Sicily. The terrain elevation is very accurate, and it is possible to recognise every relief landmark. Wow!Pilotage in Sicily however remains somewhat difficult, even with Thierry's stupendous relief, as in reality, terrain recogniton relies on the association of relief landmarks (mountains, valleys) with man-made landmarks (roads, villages and towns, etc.). And, in the standard FS2002 Sicily scenery as well in Thierry's scenery, man-made landmarks, except for roads, are completely absent: no towns or villages. In FS2002, Sicily, which counts more than 5 million inhabitants, seems a desert.So my questions: is there an easy way to add towns or villages to a .bgl file? If it is possible, which are the most convenient tools.Thank you for any reply,Best regards,Dominique

Salut Dominique,There are two different ways to do this:Either you can change the landclass assignments - that is, the type of ground texture that is placed on the mesh. You can assign urban textures to places where there should be towns and farm textures to cultivated land, etc. There are tools in the library that should allow you to do this.Or you can use aerial photos to create replacement ground textures. This is the most realistic VFR since, of course, they are pictures of the real thing. (This is what Microsoft did with the recent Oshkosh scenery, as well as New York and the few other realistic spots in the game.) If you can get pictures of Sicily from the air, then please visit the TerraBuilder forum for more information.Best regards.Luis

Guest cwright

Dominique, there are several freeware programs for adding all kinds of man-made landmarks such as buildings. I use Airport 2.60 and I can thoroughly recommend it. http://www.airportforwindows.com/ Best regards, Chris