Sign in to follow this  

OK, you scenery gurus...runway modification question.

...the extent of my knowledge of doing scenery is that I create taxiway signs for Taxiwaysigns.com.I have an runway I need to modify, and I'm using FSSC. It's worked OK sofar, except for certain things.A runway at KSGF was lengthened by 2400 feet (this would be rwy 14/32, and I was the guy yesterday asking how to add ILS to this rwy since it was just commissioned, and got the answer to that..thanks!!).Using FSCC I just created some background images the way that we are taught at taxiwaysigns.com to do it, and just overlaid the extended rwy on top of the current one. It lines up pretty good, except that it appears that the old threshold still exists, so I have two rwy identifiers, where the new threshold is, and where the old one was.I'm not sure how to exclude a single runway. I've been reading about this six line scasm code to create the exclude, but my question is this: is the exclude able to be a rotated box, i.e., in the shape of the runway in question? Or can I just put the exclude in the middle of the runway and make the area about 150 ft square and expect it to wipe out the old runway for me?Any help would be appreciated...I'm close, except for this issue.

Excludes usually work, use top down mode and change your defualt to display seconds in the slew display in fs2002. Then record the coordinates of the corners of the runway and give it a try!Bob B

OK, Bob, I gave that a whirl, and it didn't work.I'll copy and paste the scasm code I used, and maybe you guys can tell me what I did wrong (if anything) in the syntax. When I compiled it, it didn't give me an error, so I'm assuming the syntax is OK.

Set( areamx 64 )Header( 3 39:30:00.0000 37:30:00.0000 -91:30:00.0000 -95:00:00.0000 )GenExcl( KSGF14.bgl 137:14:59.7 37:14:17.1 -093:23:44.2 -093:23:44.237:14:59.7 37:14:17.1 -093:23:44.2 -093:23:44.2 )

-093:23:44.2 is what you coded for BOTH longitudes! This is an exclude box with 0 width. B

Yeah, after looking at it some more, I figured that out, and reread some of your helpful posts getting other people squared away, and fixed the coordinates properly.I'm still having zero luck on this.

sorry, here's the current code I have now...

Set( areamx 64 )Header( 3 39:30:00.0000 35:30:00.0000 -90:00:00.0000 -95:00:00.0000 )GenExcl( KSGF14.bgl 137:14:59.9 37:14:17.0 -093:22:59.7 -093:23:44.337:14:59.9 37:14:17.0 -093:22:59.7 -093:23:44.3 )

it looks right now.I can't try it til I get off work...If you haven't found the problem before 7ish Pacific time, I'll work on it then.B

Guest luissa

Hi,I would say that it should be:Header( 1 ... ) and not Header( 3 ... ). I am not sure!Also, in the Header() I would use the same lat/lon that appear in the exclude command. Finally I would insert a LatRange() between Header() and GenExcl() using, in this case, the 2 lats that you have in the exclude.If you just want to exclude the runway make the "box" as small as possible, encircling, of course, the center of the runway. Otherwise near by objects will be also excluded.Following is a partial SCASM description of the exclude command.Regards, LuisGenExcl( name.BGL mask TopLat1 BottomLat1 RightLon1 LeftLon1 TopLat2 BottomLat2 RightLon2 LeftLon2 ) - FS5 .. FS98 name name of the generated *.BGL file (ie. MY_INCL.BGL) LL1 Lat/Lon boundaries for the BGL file header of the exclude file. same as -> Header() LL2 Lat/Lon boundaries for the scenery area to be excluded. (usually equal to LL1) mask 16 bit hex value to indicate the scenery data to be suppressed. Any combination of the below bits allowed. 01 no visual scenery, runways.... and so on ...

Yes, of course, good eyes Luis!The Header must be of type 3, or the scenery engine will expect this bgl to contain visual scenery!I haven't found it necessary to have a latrange command in an exclude, but it sure won't hurt anything to include it. I'd change the header type and nothing else to start with. I'd bet that will do it.B

And that it did..I changed it to 1, and it started working...A little too good, though..it excluded everything except the buildings from this airport...I only want one runway removed... :-(I'm still working on it, using smaller exclude boxes, and tried the LatRange command, and that seemed to have had no effect.I'll keep you guys posted..thanks for the tips!

Still nothing. I had a gentleman email me about the fact that Scasm can't generate the proper exclude file for FS2k2, he suggested FreeSC. Tried that, and got and errorcode -1.Bob, if you need, I'll post screenshots of what it's doing to me.Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I'll get this thing hashed out.

Interesting...you say "nothing", but before you said it was working, just excluding more than you wish.And now we have someone talking about scasm not working to exclude fs2k2! Very interesting to say the least.Lots of folks are using scasm in this way, whether they know it or not (all the major design programs output scasm). Yet there are a few instances of difficulty that are largely unexplained...perhaps that's what he meant.Love to see more on this.Bob Bernstein

I know it's kind of confusing...when I use the coordinates to include all of the runway, it excludes everything on the airport.I tried using a smaller exclude, about 250 ft square, in the middle of the runway, and it did nothing.So, for now, it's all or nothing. I'm gonna try some other things suggested to me (possibly the use of a flatten polygon around the runway, and not using the exclude) and see if that bears fruit.

I believe that the exclude will work on an object if the objects refpoint is within the exclude. If so, it may just be that your small exclude area didn't include the refpoint. Bob

Guest jsvw2001

If you only wants to lengthen the runway, I suggest that you use FS2000 Runway Editor (RwyEd.zip) by Serve Sors released in Sep 2000. You will find the runway data in your region's F****.bgl. Just find the correct runway, lengthen it and save it again. You can even modify a lot of other runwaydata with this tool in FS2002.Johan