Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

expecting too much??

Dear all I would appreciate your views on the following:FS2k2 ProAthlon 1.3Ghz512MB SDRMentor GeForce 3Ti200 64MB DDRDetonator 21.83 driverFrame rates - between 15-40 Config tweaks:[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=20.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=40.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=60.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4but the refresh rate of the scenery is constantly playing catch-up, resulting in reasonable textures in close proximity to the aircraft, but blurred textures beyond this area. The blurred textures gradually focus and sharpen as the aircraft moves along.Am I expecting too much from my system or have you any observations about my setup. Any help much appreciated . . .

Guest Vulcho

49 target frame rate? That's your problem. The human eye can't detect more than 20 or so frames per second. Set it to 20 and you will be all set.EDIT: Also, turn on your T&L and terrain mesh complexity. I don't think you'll have a big frame hit especially at that resolution. If you do, turn them off.EDIT 2: You might also want to turn down AA a bit. And also-at that altitude and at that spot-I don't think that anyone can get clear textures. Can you chage the plane and go to 5000-10000 feet above the Grand Canyon and give us a good shot of it and the surroundings. Or maybe a shot with a lot of mountains and some water?And lower your max. visibilty to 100 miles. or less-that also helps.http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

Guest Max Cowgill

>49 target frame rate? That's your problem. The human eye >can't detect more than 20 or so frames per second. Set it to >20 and you will be all set. >ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! :-fume Must... resist... urge... to transform... into techno-hulk!! GRRRRRR! Too late! hehe, j/k ;) I will say this, however: the third sentence in the above quote is incorrect. This issue has been discussed in-depth recently in another thread in this forum (which can be found here http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/3043.html), so I will refrain from babbling about it any further.Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! :-fume Must... resist... urge... to >transform... into techno-hulk!! GRRRRRR! Too late! hehe, >j/k ;) I will say this, however: the third sentence in the >above quote is incorrect. O no!!! Max the Hulk!!! :-lolThanks Max! that just made my night! :):-beerchug Paul

Guest Max Cowgill

hehe, I thought you'd find that amusing Paul ;) It would be nice if there was a hulk-transformation smiley, as it would've come in very handy in this situation (and many others to come, I'm sure). Grrrr! Techno-Hulk mad!!! Smash Windows to pieces!!! :-lolcheers,Max Cowgill

In this comparison, try to track the lower right corner of the box with your eye as it makes a single revolution:http://www.boallen.c...ps-compare.htmlI must say that 60 FPS is smoother than 30 FPS.Maybe that's why watching my AI aircraft take-off appears jumpy?*****************************Edit: Oops! Sorry. I didn't realize I was replying to a VERY old post, LOL. Perhaps the FPS controversy is long past!

Edited by sweetmusic

Uh, i just thought "FSX on an 1.3 GHz CPU and 50 FPS??? #####, how´s that working." But only till I read the date. That´s the oldest post I´ve ever seen here. :(

Award for the necro post of the century, lol.I cant believe someone did a search and dug up a 9 nine year old topic and replied to it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Award for the necro post of the century, lol.I cant believe someone did a search and dug up a 9 nine year old topic and replied to it.
It was easy! Instead of hitting "NEXT", I hit the ">>" symbol. Suddenly, I was thrust back in time, about 10 years!! The part about FPS seemed relevant. Oh, well. :(

Who in their right mind resurrects a TEN year old thread??
You search for something rather than making a new thread, like all noobs are advised to do, find what you were looking for, and forget to check the date :)

You search for something rather than making a new thread, like all noobs are advised to do, find what you were looking for, and forget to check the date :)
Yep. In my case, I hit the wrong button and didn't see the small light gray date.Thanks!