Sign in to follow this  
arno

Need help with GMAX made building. Anyone please...

Hello guys, I am making a building in gmax and I want the doors to be transparent, so people can see inside the building, where there'll be check-in desks, McDonald's, etc... I made the doors transparent using an alpha texture, added to the building with the material editor and all. When I opened FS the transparency worked, but the other side could not be seen. That was expected, so I made "plane" face the oposite wall, in theory it should work, but it didn't as it did not show. So my question is: How do I make a building in gmax that'll show the other side? Thanks

OK, this is a hard problem. The disapearing of the polygon on the inside has to do with the drawing order. When that is OK it will be visible. Because GMax has no option to control the drawing order (or I haven't found it yet) you can only solve this by hand editing the source.Because this is a complex problem that comes back here often, I am going to make some sort of explanation about this problem soon. Then everybody can understand where it comes from and how it can be solved.That would be a bit long to type here now, so give me some time :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

GrandeAmigo,Just wondering. When you applied the transparent texture/color to the glass doors, did you make sure you had checked ON the little box in the Material Navigator (upper middle left side of the window) that is titled "Both Sides"....? In short, if you had applied a Mesh Modifier to the door object, then selected polygon, then simply clicked on the whole object to choose all the polygons for the door, then applied a UVW Map modifier to it, then in the Material Editor choose some color and make it trasparent then apply it......I would think that both sides of the door(s) should become transparent, so that if you had for instance two sets of doors on opposite walls...............you should see clear through the building. In which case objects inside the building should show up.Summary, if had not applied the transpancies using the both side options (in the M. Navigator)..... you may want to try this.cheers,George B.

"GrandeAmigo,Just wondering. When you applied the transparent texture/color to the glass doors, did you make sure you had checked ON the little box in the Material Navigator (upper middle left side of the window) that is titled "Both Sides"....? In short, if you had applied a Mesh Modifier to the door object, then selected polygon, then simply clicked on the whole object to choose all the polygons for the door, then applied a UVW Map modifier to it, then in the Material Editor choose some color and make it trasparent then apply it......I would think that both sides of the door(s) should become transparent, so that if you had for instance two sets of doors on opposite walls...............you should see clear through the building. In which case objects inside the building should show up.Summary, if had not applied the transpancies using the both side options (in the M. Navigator)..... you may want to try this.cheers,George B."I didn't check both sides, but it's not just the door. It's a whole side of the building with some transparent parts, using the alpha channel. I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

When you mention controlling drawing order, do you mean applying a z-bias? If so, it is possible using specially named materials - details are in the MakeMDL SDK. I'm not sure this is what you're asking about here, but just in case.Have funFinn

No, I am not talking about the z-bias. It has to do with the order in which the polygons appear in the source (or using commands to control this like the SCASM VectorJump).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog